PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How to freeze mini toad in the hole

Options
Hi everyone

Looking for a wee bit of advice/info.

I currently make 12 mini toad in the holes for the family using two muffin trays.

I'd like to know how I can freeze them? At the minute I par cook the sausages(6-8mins) then add my batter and cook for another 20 mins.

If I'm freezing them, do I still par cook the sausages then add batter and freeze or do I par cook the batter and freeze or do I cook the whole thing and freeze?

Comments

• sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Options
    Honestly, I've never tried but you can buy frozen giant Yorkshire puddings so I presume they defrost & reheat OK.
    I would have thought for the Yorkshire pudding bit it wouldn't take long to defrost & reheat & crisp up in a hot oven. I would have thought they'd be soggy if you reheated in the microwave.
    However the sausages would take longer to defrost & get them hot. Also if they're already cooked through then too long in the oven would dry them out & toughen them up. They'd prefer a quick defrost & reheat in the microwave.
    Sorry not much help.
    Jen xxx
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I often make extra yorkshire puddings and freeze them, when I need them they go straight from freezer to the oven and a few minutes later they are ready to eat.
    You won't be able to do that as the sausage will still be frozen.
    I would think the best thing would be to completely bake them but leave them at the just cooked stage, then freeze, then defrost before putting them in the oven to heat through.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think that when you buy frozen toad in the hole it's completely uncooked - a foil tray with raw sausages and a uncooked batter poured over them and frozen. If I were making them, I'd par cook the sausages first so they had a bit of colour on them, then slosh the batter over them and freeze like that.
  • Blackbeard_of_Perranporth
    Options
    You're not able to freeze foods like this. I can of course take them off your hands. All you have to do is get in touch!
  • mumofthetwins
    mumofthetwins Posts: 1,111 Forumite
    Options
    I always make a big batch of yorkies and when I need them it's straight out of the freeze to crisp in oven ...

I think with toad in the hole you could freeze raw and cook from frozen ..
    I would try freezing some in the muffin tin (to get shape) then tipping into a bag and when needed straight out of the freezer back in said muffin tin and bake away ... not sure it would save much time but hold work .. I use sausages straight out of the freezer cook fro 10. Inured then add freshly made batter mix (cold from fridge) and I get racking toad in the holes ��
    DFW
    January £0/£11,100

NSD
    January 1/31
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    I'd cook the sausages but not brown them (maybe it's a good time to try microwaving so they're hot all the way through - or even steaming them), then freeze them in uncooked batter (with a good splash of oil in the bottom of the container that needs to got into the oven - I'd use foil trays).

Then I'd heat up the oven and shove them in still frozen - by the time the batter defrosts and starts cooking, the sausages should be the same.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family