Upgrading PS4 internal hard drive

in Gaming MoneySaving
5 replies 2.6K views
ToonsyToonsy Forumite
77 Posts
Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
I'm at the point where I can't hold all my games in my current hard drive which is an issue for me as I like to have loads of games on the go to suit my mood :rotfl:

So I've been looking at buying a 2TB drive to replace it with and I've looked online and it seems simple enough buy has anyone dine it and can confirm its simple enough? Would getting an external drive be an easier or better option?

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Toonsy wrote: »
    I'm at the point where I can't hold all my games in my current hard drive which is an issue for me as I like to have loads of games on the go to suit my mood :rotfl:

So I've been looking at buying a 2TB drive to replace it with and I've looked online and it seems simple enough buy has anyone dine it and can confirm its simple enough? Would getting an external drive be an easier or better option?

Youtube fpr videos will show you how easy it is.

As for an external hard drive, yes it would be easier if for example you need to replace the console and you can just plug the drive back in.
  • ToonsyToonsy Forumite
    77 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sorry i guess easier was the wrong way of saying it. I mean is it better to replace the internal HD? Is there a performance issue with an external drive?
  • I went external. It is USB3 so pretty fast. Not noticed any performance issues.
    The above facts belong to everybody; the opinions belong to me; the distinction is yours to draw...
  • d0nnad0nna Forumite
    134 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    Forumite
    Toonsy wrote: »

I replaced my internal PS4 hard drive last year, I was in the same situation, with wanting extra space for all my games. I purchased a seagate 2TB hard drive off Amazon and followed a video on YouTube on a channel called GameRiot. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to technology but I found it very easy to do and everything went very smoothly. I've had no problems since.
  • edited 29 July 2017 at 5:14PM
    KrojanKrojan Forumite
    95 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 29 July 2017 at 5:14PM
    Go external, it's plug it in, format, job done.

If you do decide to go internal, its a very simple process that takes about 5-10 minutes to physically swap the drives, simply follow the steps here; https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/help-library/system---hardware/storage---data/upgrade-playstation-4-hdd/, then you've got the "fun" of installing the ps4 software, transferring games saves etc, reinstalling games etc...

Things to consider though;

The ps4 can support up to 8TB externally, but don't waste money on a ssd or a hybrid drive for external as you won't reap the speed benefit as the ps4's usb controller throttles the data transfer down despite it having usb 3.0 ports.

3.5" (external) drives are a lot cheaper than the 2.5" (internal) drives per GB.

For a 2.5" drive to fit internally it needs to be max 9.5mm high or it wont fit!

Don't waste money going 7200rpm internally as the speed increase is very marginal at best and really not worth the extra outlay.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

Top theatre lotteries

How to grab £10-£25 tix for Cabaret, Matilda etc

MSE Deals