IPA and a Partner with Variable Income

Options
Hi to all,

I've scoured these forums over the last few days as I'm sure many BR and people thinking about BR have done in the past, but I cant find an answer for my question.

I applied and was accepted for Bankruptcy today.
My income will almost certainly leave room for an IPA which i'm more than prepared to accept.

The problem is my wife's income is variable. Shes a night shift care worker. How will the OR calculate her income towards household bills? For example, these are her wages for the past 24 weeks (she's paid every 4 weeks)

£744.39 (+£80 Child benefit for every 4 weeks)
£825.01
£1023.54
£760.31
£697.52
£865.44
(Average - £819.36) (£899.33 inc Child Benefit)

Will they use an average and what happens on a particular month if she earns considerably less than £819 for example the £697.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The OR will do a basic calculation on how much more or less you earn than your partner so for example if you earn about the same, the OR would split the household expenditure 50/50 - if you earned 20% more than your partner, then the OR would expect you to pay 20% more in household expenditure.
    Where the partner earns more than the BR - then it may be worth the partner refusing to share their income details (quite within their rights) and in this case the OR will assume 50/50
  • Craig_GTR
    Craig_GTR Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the insight!

I'm trying to be as prepared as possible, my income is 62% compared with her 38% (average).
    Would they set the Household expenditure at perhaps 70% my income to her 30% to allow for the fluctuation in her income or would the expect regular SoE (3 /6 / 9 months etc)?

Any help is appreciated thanks!
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The maths will be down to the OR but I would think they would consider that a logical calculation. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure