Letter from Drysden fairfax

Options
Hi ladies and gents first time in posting on here so hoping you can assist?

Received a letter from Drysden Fairfax yesterday and spoke to them today.
Stated no information on the letter as to why so out of curiosity rang them.

They informed me that I am owing 17k due to a house that I bought with my ex in 2009 was repossessed in 2011.
This happened due to us splitting and myself moving to NZ in 2010 but I gave a lump sum to my ex as the house was rented out to tenants but the cost of the rent not meeting the cost of the mortgage.
I received the news from my mother that the house had been repossessed while I was out there.
An email was sent to my ex where she practically laughed in my face after I asked for the money back saying I was the last in the line behind the courts etc.

Cue to today and my partner and I moved in our brand new house and due to be married next June so you can imagine this is the last thing I need.

In the phone call to Drysden Fairfax I denied any liability to the mortgage and when asked if I would like to set up a payment plan i said no.

I did ask for a breakdown of the debts owed and all correspondance ,what would be the next step as the costs involved would not be statutory barred due to being less than 12 years old and only just 6 years old.
I dont want to admit liability by saying the wrong thing due it being my exes fault to decide to have the house repossessed.

My sister does have contact details for her so is there anyway I could pass her information on without myself being liable?

Comments

• Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You will need a legal advice on this one, the liability is large and the situation is complicated. So best find a solicitor who will take a look at all the facts and paperwork, give you a written opinion on what to do next.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    This is definatley one for a proper legal expert to advise you on.

£17k shortfall on a mortgage from a repo'ed house is a huge amount to have hanging over your head.
    As the mortgage was in joint names, they may well have given up on getting your ex to pay, so are concentrating on you instead.

You need to try to deflect them back to your ex.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,947 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If you were both named on the mortgage then you are both severely liable for the full amount.

They will chase the easiest target, currently you.

If you cannot afford to pay, then I would be looking at some kind of payment plan or insolvency to deal with it, as this will not go away.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    It's true that the debt would not be statute barred at the 6-year point, well at least not the capital - the interest would.

However the CML and MCOB rules still specify a 6-year period for dealing with mortgage shortfall debt.

It is set out well in this factsheet

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/mortgage-shortfalls/mortgage-debt.aspx

I agree for the moment (as the start and end points of the 6-years appear unclear) that you should be careful not to acknowledge the debt. That does not stop you from asking for further information, on a without prejudice basis for this 'alleged debt'.

I like this letter

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Ask-your-mortgage-lender-for-a-breakdown-%28sole-name%29.aspx

Bear in mind that these debts are frequently written off with insolvency so lenders are usually open to very small settlement deals around 10%. Again, conduct negotiations 'without prejudice'.
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Also, if your ex is saying you're "Last in line behind the courts" it may be that they've filed for bankruptcy themselves.

Therefore, any joint debts become solely yours, and you wont be able to deflect them back, especially as you're potentially liable for the full amount regardless of your ex status.

This is most certainly one for legal advice, as the amount is simply far too high to ignore.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • mattknow80
    Options
    Ok I sought legal advice contacting a local solicitor who basically explained as part of the mortgage agreement we are both liable even though its through no fault of my own.
    They said its within my legal rights to provide her address if I have it ,My sister still has contact with her via Facebook and has recently noticed she has just moved into a new house.
    She is in the process of obtaining said address ,how would I be able to provide Drysden Fairfax the address without admitting any liability to the debt in a letter?
  • fatbelly
    Options
    mattknow80 wrote: »
    Ok I sought legal advice contacting a local solicitor who basically explained as part of the mortgage agreement we are both liable even though its through no fault of my own.
    They said its within my legal rights to provide her address if I have it ,My sister still has contact with her via Facebook and has recently noticed she has just moved into a new house.
    She is in the process of obtaining said address ,how would I be able to provide Drysden Fairfax the address without admitting any liability to the debt in a letter?

I hope the solicitor didn't charge for that!

What are you hoping to achieve by giving Drysden Fairfax information that they don't currently have?

Have you checked StopIt's suspicion that your ex is bankrupt?

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/eiir/
  • mattknow80
    Options
    No was done over the phone no charge to local solicitors.
    If I can provide her details which they may not have (she has just purchased a new house!) Then maybe they will harass her to admit liability?
    Checked and she isn't on there.
  • fatbelly
    Options
    mattknow80 wrote: »
    No was done over the phone no charge to local solicitors.
    If I can provide her details which they may not have (she has just purchased a new house!) Then maybe they will harass her to admit liability?
    Checked and she isn't on there.

OK. Of course they may have her details already - it's hard to fly under the radar these days.

That's not going to make any difference to you. They will still work through their standard letters with you. If they decide to take court action, and they may not, then they will just send 2 claims to the last known address for each of you.

I don't think joint liability is in dispute here. You are both liable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure