Alcohol and Cigarettes are There ?

Options
13»

Comments

• peterkay369
    peterkay369 Posts: 164 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't use any guidelines, just put an approximate amount, £150 if I remember correctly, but there was no transactions at all on my bank statements. With my debt coming mainly from gambling, I think the OR went through my finances in a bit more detail than usual.
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 July 2017 at 10:32PM
    Options
    Hopefully!

I know DebtDoctor is actively looking into the new SFS changes and intends to update the forum sometime this week.
    Yes indeed, I shall provide a Major new post on a new thread about the SFS and IPA's tomorrow (Sunday) - just for interest on this thread, the new SFS that is the basis of new IPAs does allow expenditure for both alcohol and smoking.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • Butts
    Butts Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes indeed, I shall provide a Major new post on a new thread about the SFS and IPA's tomorrow (Sunday) - just for interest on this thread, the new SFS that is the basis of new IPAs does allow expenditure for both alcohol and smoking.
    DD

Well that sounds like good news. I did wonder why the official BR form would have sections for it :j
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 July 2017 at 9:33AM
    Options
    Thanks DD - I look forward to seeing your post :T

Cigs and alcohol are a part of many peoples lives but all adults are responsible for their own actions and spending and there is no adult smoker I know who does not fully understand the health issues and risks (including financial ones)associated with smoking.
    'Saving' folk from themselves is a rather condescending Victorian attitude and its a fine line between advice and moral indignation whether its ciggies or expensive pets.

I know several smokers who spend unimaginable amounts of money on cigges despite their debts and they chose to eat less well or manage without things others would consider a necessity - in fact one I know wouldn't be in debt if he didn't smoke - but that's his decision.

I always understood the SOA to be the tool the OR uses to analyse the BR's spending patterns and understand how they got into debt but not so they could advise and support the BRs decisions - but so they could work out if there was expenditure that could be recovered for the creditors.

One mans fags is another's expensive pet food or gym membership or high protein diet...
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    One mans fags is another's expensive pet food or gym membership or high protein diet...
    Nailed it in one sentence!
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure