Virgin train booking query

Options
2»

Comments

• Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The requirement for the payment card is an anti-fraud measure and is set by the ticket seller at the time of booking. Different sellers have different policies. It's also possible that high-value bookings are set to require stronger verification than low-value ones but it's unlikely sellers would publicise this.

Obviously in the case of a corporate booking the payment card will not be available at time of collection (the booking might not even have been paid for on a card if the ticket agent invoices the client monthly for payment by BACS).

Ticket sellers can also alter the 'flag' on the booking after sale, eg if you lose your payment card and contact the seller they may alter your booking.

The options are:

- payment card only
    - any card for verification of ID
    - no card required, collection by reference number only possible
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,221 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As has been said, the card is inserted and withdrawn to turn on the machine so you can enter the code. I've used a different card to collect tickets on occasions.

You can order tickets from various sources and I doubt whether other operators' machines would have access to card data.

Having said this you are stuck if your train is about to leave and the machine refuses to issue tickets.
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    As has been said, the card is inserted and withdrawn to turn on the machine so you can enter the code. I've used a different card to collect tickets on occasions.

You can order tickets from various sources and I doubt whether other operators' machines would have access to card data.

Having said this you are stuck if your train is about to leave and the machine refuses to issue tickets.

I will try a different card in the machine tomorrow
  • mutley74
    mutley74 Posts: 4,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i tried a card that was not used for the booking - did not work at the ticket machine. Worked fine with card used for payment.
  • jbuchanangb
    jbuchanangb Posts: 1,327 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Some TOCs now permit payment by PayPal, in which case ANY credit or debit card can be used at the TVM when collecting the tickets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure