PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 12 September 2017 at 8:11AM
    Options

I couldn't believe my eyes! I had to go back and take a double check .... they actually had some funny little sachets with the box saying they were: Organic Chia Shots.

Now .. I've absolutely NO idea what that even is .... but the fact it had the word organic in the title ... and chia .... means they don't want the custom of "my sort", but are seeking the larger wallets of people who like their latest food and fads :)

:rotfl:I'll let ya' get away with teasing me Pastures:rotfl: - considering as how I've discovered you've got a very kind heart:)

Chia seeds - yep...duly got them in my larder and will probably chuck some on my morning porridge in a minute. Though I did manage to snag an enormous (1 kg) bag of them recently for about £7. Can't remember the details - but they've got all sorts of goodness in them. There is the factor as well of the way they swell up with liquid and I gather were used by whoever-it-was (native Americans??) or someone anyways as a way to help fill the stomach and eat less food (sounds like a good idea to me when one has some weight to lose still...).

I won't buy things like "chia shots" and the like and the other excuses manufacturers dream up for getting a bit of "added value" from them. One adds up paying a noticeable amount for something that represents a rather small amount of food to eat that way.

Is keeping fingers crossed here re the weather. Autumn has descended anyway - and there have been a few gales already here. So fingers seriously crossed when they say that the tail-end of 3 hurricanes could end up hitting Britain - when one lives in a part of the country prone to gales anyway (as they come straight across the Atlantic and hit us here I gather). Not sure the "locals" here would call what we've had so far gales. But, coming from somewhere about as "calm as a mill pond" means I do call them gales. Reminds me - I must google as to how to prevent myself getting to look "weather-beaten" living here. To date my strategy has consisted of staying in as far as possible when it's a gale outside - but that's not really a very good strategy - considering how often they happen here. Right - off to trawl beauty pages about "going out in the wind" without getting "wind damage" to face.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast, splash of the brown stuff on top. Black coffee.

Seemed easiest as it only takes 2 minutes and I have bread and eggs and buttery stuff. This month's buttery stuff is the 75p tub from L1dl, Heavenly Buttery or similar name... didn't get the "low fat" one this time, thought I'd live dangerously just for the LOLZ.

Definitely need to pull my finger out .... and get some of the chicken I cooked Sunday and some peas from the freezer ... and make a white sauce .... and make that swede/potato mash ... and shove it all together in a pie-like fashion with a blast under the grill to give it a brown finish. Later though...
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    I had scrambled eggs on toast again this morning.

I got some minced lamb out of the freezer for dinner tonight and have made a shepherd's pie.

I've settled on a cheese and pickle sandwich for lunch.

Need to pop out in a minute and get some milk and a couple of other things because I've got a washing machine being delivered tomorrow so have to wait in. I'll see if there is anything I fancy for dinner tomorrow while I'm out.
  • Right - tomatoes and all that.

So - I know one can freeze ripe tomatoes okay no problem.

But what about green ones - for those (like myself) that don't like green ones? I'm wondering if there's any way I can freeze green ones and then hoick them out of the freezer later and be able to "ripen them on" into being red/ripe ones iyswim.

I'm guessing the answer is a "no" - but it's worth asking just in case.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    no to green tomatoes money, they won`t ripen. You could freeze and make green tomato chutney in the future but all that sugar!! I was at work once in se wales and someone got word that all her sea facing windows had blown out. I hate strong wind

Lunch was nice and so easy, just runners and spelt pasta cooked together and I mixed in anchovy and some creamy goats cheese. I need a rest now, I have done so much work this morning and am listening to my body, I hope it says `get up and go` later. Lots of veggies were juiced earlier and I drank half, will have the other half late afternoon. Its a masticating juicer

I have to make lentil soup, will probably just add a tin of tomatoes and some chopped carrots to my turkey stock, which was previously cooked with all the works, like celery, onion

I don`t eat unadulterated seeds any more, most need grinding or are useless in the body and anyway can stick in little pockets in the gut and cause problems later. I threw my chia away last year. Having said that I just ate sprouted alfalfa seeds, a different kettle of fish altogether
  • Hollyharvey
    Options
    Right - tomatoes and all that.

So - I know one can freeze ripe tomatoes okay no problem.

But what about green ones - for those (like myself) that don't like green ones? I'm wondering if there's any way I can freeze green ones and then hoick them out of the freezer later and be able to "ripen them on" into being red/ripe ones iyswim.

I'm guessing the answer is a "no" - but it's worth asking just in case.
    I would say no to this based on personal experience. I tried to do the same thing a few years ago and it didn't work at all. All I ended up with was some green soggy tomatoes :(. But we learn from mistakes and I won't try that one again :).
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,242 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Nil breakfast, but fancying the eggs on toast thoughts, idea put to one side for another day

Into Lild this morning, I get the idea of priced out and "odd" stuff as mentioned by PN, I've not reached priced out yet, at least on what I normally buy there, which today was exciting bleach, iceberg lettuce, jar of Lidl instant coffee & daff bulbs. £4.17 kerching !. Nothing YS to tempt at all, there were items but nothing I would buy.

I bought the lettuce because today is salad day, put off from yeaterday, I think it will open a tin of salmon, baked spud & salad bits
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Options
    I made/ate the chicken pie .... chicken/peas/sauce ... topped with swede/spud .... browned.

Then I looked at it and thought I'd have something on the side and reached for a few chips.

Totally stuffed now. Ate WAY too much.

Glad I made the pie ... but I've still a mound of chicken to use up... I'll end up freezing some of that I bet, unless I turn it into a "dip into the fridge and nibble a bit when passing" food item :)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    I keep losing posts today , so I'll keep this short :)
    Went to ALDI today, n got a top up shop.Tea will probs be a cheese omelette n chips later on , n I aim to make a red lentil lasagne too :)
    TTFN :hello:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,242 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    The salmon salad for dinner was excellent, I really should have more salads instead of chips :o
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure