Outstanding council tax bill

Options
Blily
Blily Posts: 2 Newbie
In 2007 I moved in to a flat with my ex partner, previous to that I lived in sheltered accommodation due to being in care as a teenager. My ex partner was abusive, controlling and I moved out in late 2007 after being hospitalised. When we moved in together I was unemployed and we made a joint claim for JSA. My ex partner controlled everything and as a young care leaver I was very naive. When I moved out of the address the address was used as a correspondence address as I had no other address to give. Despite this I was classed as no fixed address with the Job Centre and our joint claim was seperated. In 2009 I moved into my first tenancy and paid council tax with no issues. I continue to pay council tax now with my husband in our new home. I am married, have a four year old son and another on the way. Today I received a letter addressed to myself and my ex. It says there is an outstanding debt on the account for my ex partner's property. I rang the council immediately to explain I did not live in the property for the time stated. They advised both myself and my ex was liable for the debt due to the joint claim in 2007. I did mention I was no fixed abode and the advisor stated this could be fraud as it was not declared! I made the Job Centre aware in 2007 but I can't confirm the dates as it is ten years ago. I have no idea what to do. I have been told to pay it or debt action will happen. I have emailed Citizen's advice but I'd like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation? I cannot contact my ex for obvious reasons and I am actually anxious that this will cause my ex to try and contact me.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can you afford to pay it
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Blily
    Blily Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    The debt is for roughly £299. We can afford to pay the debt on a payment plan, we think, but we haven't discussed this yet with the council. The debt is on hold for two weeks while I send a statement.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    To be honest i would just pay it, its over and done with and from then you wont need to give it a second thought.

No point in strining it out stressing and mithering over it, affecting family etc. Etc.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport