17 year-old needs summer job- best way to find one?

Options
2»

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,157 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd start with the obvious - fast food places. MacDonalds shows vacancies on line and the first step is filling in an on-line application.

https://people.mcdonalds.co.uk/job-search
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Both my girls found summer / Christmas work by handing in CVs. They also responded to adverts. They've both worked in retail / hospitality type jobs. We're in an area of high employment though, so shops don't find recruitment easy.

There are restrictions on under 18s. They need specific risk assessments, their tasks are limited and they get more regular breaks than older people. That will put some employers off.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,051 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Best Job Ever for sixth formers, IMO, is working at the cinema. At least it was for my lads. Had to be 17 to start, easy work, and at theirs (it was a small chain rather than one of the large ones) they got paid throughout the shift, but could go into the staff room and do their homework in the quiet times.

If you have a local cinema, go and ask there. They may need extra cover through the summer, and he may be able to do an evening a week through term-time.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport