help with debt

Options
Hi all.

I am hoping someone can help me and get my debt gone!!

I was coping ok, but now I am a carer to my son and I am not working. I am constantly in my overdraft and I am only paying the min payment on 3 credit cards.

I have just applied for a loan with my bank (tsb) and computer said NO.

I have just opened an basic current account so I can see what money I get and not seeing it being eaten up by my overdraft all the time.

What options have I got??? for example I owe £1600 on a credit card and the only card I can be accepted for is Aqua and I can do a balance transfer but the limit on the aqua is £900 and now I'm just so confused.

any help would be much appreciated as this is really getting me down now. TIA

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    Debt Management Plan?

Are you claiming everything your entitled to?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,892 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Forget about balance transfers and further borrowing, thats not the way to deal with your debts.

As your not working, i assume your only income is benefits, if thats the case you should cease all non essential credit payments straight away, or reduce them to £1 each per month.

Make sure your essential bills are paid, essential bills are classed as :

Mortgage/rent
    Council tax
    Utility bills
    Food
    Any other essential payments.

Bottom of the list comes unsecured credit payments.

Have a look on the stepchange website (address is in my signature)
    see which options are open to you, for example, if a non homeowner, a DRO (Debt relief order) may work for you, otherwise a DMP (Debt management plan) may be in order, depends on your debt level and your personal circumstances.

Have a look and see, in the meantime, post up an SOA (Statement of affairs) dont forget to format for MSE, and you will get more advice relative to your situation :

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    You need to post a full SOA, and then work from there.

From previous posts, you had an issue with a potential CCJ and your partner had a work limiting injury and you were looking into ESA? Has either of these been progressed.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Post an SOA and you will get help.

What I will say is you need a strong will to stick to the plan, not buying stuff you can do without.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure