How does the scrappage of overdraft fees affect me?

Options
So Lloyds has come out to say they are changing the way they charge unplanned overdraft fees. If I have a sum of money owing to them due to their previously excessive fees, would this amount change once they've brought in the changes? The new charge is meant to be 1p a day which would mean my amount would be substantially less.

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    edited 14 July 2017 at 8:53AM
    Options
    So Lloyds has come out to say they are changing the way they charge unplanned overdraft fees. If I have a sum of money owing to them due to their previously excessive fees, would this amount change once they've brought in the changes? The new charge is meant to be 1p a day which would mean my amount would be substantially less.

It's 1p per £7 remember of Overdraft, not 1p full stop.

The amount you owe will not change. The amount charged going forward after the changeover date will. However you can always complain about excessive charges and appeal to get some of them refunded. They have no obligation to do so but the worst answer is no.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40555175

Remember, if you have anything over around £800 in Overdraft, you will be charged more, not less under this new system.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure