career ideas?

Options
2»

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You said that you have done some landscape gardening - have you considered further work in that area? Maybe limiting it to actual gardening if the other thing were hard for you.

I also agree that it may be worth approaching your GP and asking whether it is possible to be referred to asses whether you have a specific condition.

You've mentioned having had trouble working out new tasks - do you have a feel for how you do learn? (e.g.by being told, being shown, being guided to do things yourself?) if you know what your learning style is then you can ask for training to be given in the way that allows you to learn.

I think that starting by thinking about what your strengths are and what you enjoy is a good way to start thinking about what careers might suit you.

For instnace:
    - do you prefer to work with others, or on your own
    - do you like / feel comfortable with working with the public / custoemrs
    - are you comfortable speaking in the phone
    What IT skills do you have?
    - would you be willing to do shift wok or work evenings or wekends?
    - Would you be interested in working with animals
    - Do you enjoy working with your hands?

that may help you to narrow down the areas / types of work that might suit you
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • bagwell
    bagwell Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 19 July 2017 at 3:10PM
    Options
    Wow. You're a helpful, positive bunch.
    As well as care work look into support work. I only started applying after I got chatting to someone who worked on the same production line as me several years ago and she said she enjoyed it. Ive been in it several years and while the job has changed a lot it's still not too bad

I'm not entirely aware of the differenc between care work and support work. However, it is something i've at least applied for once or twice in my life, simply due to the fact that most adverts stressed that no prior qualification were necessary.

I will admit that I'm not certain I could handle certain 'personal care' job duties that I imagine would be rrequired of me.

Sir_Sharmz wrote: »
    Have a look into any local railway jobs?

I fancied a career change last year, however I didn't fancy going back to college/uni. So i decided to apply for my local train station in a platform/customer service role. The easiest work I've ever had to do! Entry level role at around 30k pa, unlimited free rail travel, great holiday and pension. Only downside to some people would be the shift work, which I actually prefer to 9-5 hours.

Really would recommend you looking into it as you don't really need any previous skills although customer service would help.

Good luck! There's something for everybody out there regardless what skills you have.

'Easy' sounds VERY good to me! What does it actually consist of? What is your official job title?

TBagpuss wrote: »
    You said that you have done some landscape gardening - have you considered further work in that area? Maybe limiting it to actual gardening if the other thing were hard for you.

I also agree that it may be worth approaching your GP and asking whether it is possible to be referred to asses whether you have a specific condition.

You've mentioned having had trouble working out new tasks - do you have a feel for how you do learn? (e.g.by being told, being shown, being guided to do things yourself?) if you know what your learning style is then you can ask for training to be given in the way that allows you to learn.

I think that starting by thinking about what your strengths are and what you enjoy is a good way to start thinking about what careers might suit you.

For instnace:

that may help you to narrow down the areas / types of work that might suit you

I have considered basic gardening work again, although I'm not 100% certain that it's necesarily much of a step above doing factory work etc. At least in my experience the wage was the same (arod minimum wage) and it's not really a 'career' as such?

In regards to how I learn - That's a very interesting question indeed. I've never thought about it! I suppose that I 'learn' in the samw way as most people. Being shown, with explanation along the way. With patience.

It's more my lack of abililty to work things out by myself. My embarrassing example with the ladder from earlier is illustration of this. If I haven't been shown something, or done it myself before, i'm hopeless. I know that you could say that that's true of everyone, but it's really not. I geuss you could say it's a lack of common sense. Lack of logic? I guess you could say i'm a 'right brained' person! (being generous!)

I'm kind of indifferent, although I tihnk the fact that i'm so comfortable with COMPLETE isolation means that working with others is good for my mental health, and so probably a superior choice for me

I don't have much experience with this. I tend to be very anxious at first, but after exposure, I get better. As long as I felt competent in my job, then it wouldn't be an issue

Not particularly, if i'm honest, although it's not a deal breaker

Very basic indeed. I can type 'reasonably' fast, I guess. I can't do anything complicated. I can't program or do V'lookup on a spreadheet, for example

Yep

Ohhhhhh.....I LOVE animals!!! Love them!

I don't mind being physical. Makes me feel good. But most jobs invloving being good with yuor hands nearly always come with the abililty to be very technically minded which is where I can come unstuck! If you'd have seen me trying to build my home gym, you'd have had a bloody good laugh!!
  • bagwell
    Options
    fulous wrote: »
    Well, What you need is just right infont of you, may be you just don't realise it. To say you are thick is a huge exaggeration, You are above average smart judging from your post, you just have been doing the wrong things.

Assuming nobody helped you to write this quite engaging post, I say THATS YOUR CALLING. You said you don't like doing stuff, but clearly you found it easy generating that post (from the tone of it), So I say to you consider writing as your career. Not any fancy fiction, you can start by simply documenting your life, your struggles with college, employment and finding a good fitting job. Write in the same way you have composed this post. Put much detail etc. Then approach a number of concessionary publishers (this is where you may require help from fellow MSEs here etc) I know for a fact there are lots of publishers willing to lap-up factual life stories such as yours we can try a few if you pm.

You may eventually be surprised to find your self in similar big-houses and book signing holidays :)

Nice of you to say. I did write it all myself!! :rotfl:(I sound about 5 years old saying that)
    To be clear, are you suggesting starting some sort of 'blog'? I think i'd need something more stabl and reliable in my quest to build some sort of 'career' if i'm honest. Also, time is kind of 'of the essense' since i'm no longer super young
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure