Best plan of action .. Morg renewal next year ?

Options
So guys ..
A couple of month ago I was thinking of getting additional borrowing on my mortgage to pay off cc bills but after getting your advice and a good hard think I decided to just plug away at the debt without the further borrowing.
So I have managed to pay off 2 cards and only a few hundred on another, however I do still have a high balance on a bCard and a small balance on Tsb .. These are next on my hit list lol

Question is my mortgage is due for renewal in May next year, I've had a look at my credit score on noodle and it's pretty pants. I think this was because I had so many cards with balances but I have never missed any payments on any cards ... What do you think best course of action will be ?

Would I be better starting to make a dint on the largest balance or clearing another card by then (effectively leaving just one large balance ?)

I have about 75-80% equity in the house so a very small mortgage but as I have time I would like to improve my chances of getting the best possible rate.

Thanks guys for all your help
LISA x
DFW
January £0/£11,100

NSD
January 1/31

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done for starting to make an impact is the first thing!

To be honest with the amount of equity you have that's a good place to be. Have you checked your credit history on any of the other agencies? You can use the MSE Credit Club to get Experian I think it is free of charge too. Remember - ignore the number, it's the history that's important.

I'm assuming that you're currently paying interest on the remaining cards - might you be able to shift anything to 0% balance transfer cards? Do the eligibility calculators rather than just going straight into applications and whatever you do leave 4 months clear of actual applications before you'll want to start messing about with Mortgage stuff to let any searches clear off your history.

if you can shift stuff to 0% cards that means whatever you can pay will have more of an impact of course.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business