Hard bit done now what

Options
Hello

so finally got old debts under control
Personal loan of 4k, credit cards amonting to 6K)

Started repayment plans on all of them and have set up standing orders with them which makes my finances much more doable and living comfortably (still tight) but no longer spending more than whats coming in

27 now and one of the accounts at the current rate will take 20 years to pay back, now at the moment, not able to increase payment,

Just wondered what happens next next year , 2 , 5 years if anyone has experience with recoveries departments for an extended period of time

20 years stuck in debt is a terribly depressing prospect, i seem so far away from plans of saving to buy a house have money for kids when they grow up to help them but i suppose thats life and my commupence

Comments

• middleclassbutpoor
    Options
    Would be interesting to see how you have got them under control? Are these your own negotiated arrangements or are these done through a DMP for example?

If you do a SOA then you may also get some suggestions on how to increase the spare cash in your budget to perhaps reduce this 20 year term. An SOA may also offer an insight whether your current arrangements is the best one for you or whether there may be other options you have yet to consider.

Well done on making a start though :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,893 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    20 years is far too long.

Any solution that takes more than 6 years needs to be re-thought.

Is insolvency an option for you ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What interest rate are you paying on these debts? 20 years is too long, either because the monthly payments are too low or the interest rate is too high. If it will take you 20 years to pay back £10k then buying a house is definitely not on the cards.

If you post an soa you will get more useful advice but as sourcrates says a DMP or insolvency may be a better option.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure