Releasing Equity in Family House After Separation

Options
Sadly my wife and I recently separated. We have two children and I need to find somewhere else to live so I can have the children half the time. We're fortunate enough to have no mortgage on our home and I'm wondering what options are available to me. I had initially considered renting, but it seems expensive. My other thought is whether it would be possible to release my share of the equity in our home so I can buy my own home with a smaller mortgage. This would be a lot more affordable, but I don't know much about it. Anyone able to help?

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your wife would need to be able to afford the mortgage on whatever you took out.
  • smnbin
    smnbin Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2017 at 2:25PM
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. So, if our current house is worth £300k (for example) and I release £150k to purchase a new house at £300k we would both have a mortgage of £150k?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If it's a jointly owned property, it usually has to have a joint mortgage.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    smnbin wrote: »
    I'm not sure I understand. So, if our current house is worth £300k (for example) and I release £150k to purchase a new house at £300k we would both have a mortgage of £150k?

Not really because you can do what you want with your share, and also the house would become hers. You would trade your wife a % of the equity for full ownership. So if 50/50, she now owns the house and has a £150k mortgage, and you get £150k cash and do whatever you want with it (she in effect has kept her £150k in the house).

You might buy a £200k flat and have a £50k mortgage for example.
  • smnbin
    smnbin Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I see. Thanks for your responses.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The property will form part of the financial divorce settlement. Have you consulted a family law solicitor yet for advice.

If the intention is for you to share custody. Is downsizing an option for your ex. In order that part of the equity could be released to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure