best time to buy reduced food in supermarkets ...

Options

Comments

• zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As this has dropped down the OS board, i've moved it to the Shopping and groceries board to see if you get some other helpful suggestions

Zip

Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Definately all shops ( even within the same chain ) are different, and you have to do your own research in your own area . As a general guide start looking around 2 hours before closing or around 7 & 9pm if its a 24hr store.

I have seen a decline in the amount of discount I can find.
    Used to aim for between 75% and 90% off - now more likely to be 50% to 75% off.

My local Morrisons used to do everything for 9p - Now I see a few of these but majority isnt even half price.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    For best quality and value and quantity(fewer wasted trips)

Top of the list in out town is M&S

90% off a lot of stuff 10mins before closing, varies what they have but usualy have meat at least twice a week ready means and othe misc fresh produce.

next Waitrose, they tend to do multiple reduction so often not much left at the late/final 6pm-7pm we get stuff a few days a week and load up when thye have over stocked,, got 7kg of cheap beef a while back and still working through it.

Morisons sometimes when the M&S and waitrose pickings get too thin on the ground.

Tesco the equality is poor especialy chicken so stick other deals and discounts now.

The trick is to go every day for a week or two till you spot the patterns
  • MysteryMe
    MysteryMe Posts: 3,052 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've picked up some cheap m&s stuff where they have shops at petrol stations mid evening.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,272 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Round here, Tesco's the worst - a suspiciously small number of reductions, and even those are poor.

I suspect they may go in for redating some of their produce to avoid reducing it.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have found some amazing dessert bargains at M&S after an evening drinking: think 90% off. I wouldn't normally buy these for health reasons. I don't know if it's the alcohol or the discount that lowers my concern for my health.

They really are delicious, though :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had to drop my daughter home and she needed to pop in the Tesco near her so I went in with her.

It was 7.00pm at the back of the store they had a system organised where they let a few people in at a time, no trolleys allowed, and they could pick up what they want.

They had bags of carrots for 2p potatoes for 8p strawberries 20p. Bread 3p a loaf and loads of other stuff really cheap and it was all very fresh although obviously dated that day.

Never seen such a system before but it seemed to work.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,674 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    MysteryMe wrote: »
    I've picked up some cheap m&s stuff where they have shops at petrol stations mid evening.

The M&S at Leeds railway station always has decent markdowns in the late afternoon which is surprising since it is one of the most busy places this side of That London.
    POPPYOSCAR wrote: »
    Never seen such a system before but it seemed to work.

Interesting; it sounds like a good idea.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I saw a police van parked in my local BP on my way home this evening, at around 10.45pm.

The emergency? I realised as soon as I saw 5 of them crowded around a chiller cabinet of YS M&S food :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pakokelso93
    pakokelso93 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I think the saddest thing is someone works 50 hrs a week and still can't put food on the table without scurrying around for Yellow Stickers.

Doesn't say much for the wages in this country.

OP our local co-op has the best deals in the morning after the night shift workers have taken the out of date stock off and reduced it.

A cheap meal for 4 of you would be from Aldi - a bag of pasta @ 49p, a jar of chilli / tomato sauce 89p and you could bulk it out with veggies and a bit of grated cheese on top.

If you are going to bulk out/spend time on veggies etc - Instead of a jar of sauce. By a tin or two of value/cheapest range Chopped tomatoes/Passata. It's without majority of the nasty big amounts of sugar etc.

Some Passata... Chop Onion, Carrot, Garlic, Pepper - whatever you want really. Hardly touched a jar of sauce in years after really investigating the garbage that was in it.
    PK! :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport