MSE Guest Comment: WASPI campaign responds to Pensions Minister's advice to take...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Mortgagefreeman
    Options
    There's a rumour that the Government might be able to help those worst affected by the 2011 Act, so the transition would be no longer than a year, instead of the current 18 months. I believe this would help those born from December 1953 to October 1954, and assume (if correct) would also apply to men born between those dates.

They'd be no changes to the 1995 Act.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's a rumour that the Government might be able to help those worst affected by the 2011 Act, so the transition would be no longer than a year, instead of the current 18 months. I believe this would help those born from December 1953 to October 1954, and assume (if correct) would also apply to men born between those dates.

They'd be no changes to the 1995 Act.

I sincerely hope this rumour isn't true. Not all of those with >12 months increase from the 2011 Act are in financial hardship.

What should be happening is that people in their 60s - women and men - whenever they were born, not just in the 1950s, who pass the JSA/ESA mean test should get a bit more help without being subject to sanctions.

BTW, no man had >12 months SPA increase from 2011 Act.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 August 2017 at 4:17PM
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    BTW, no man had >12 months SPA increase from 2011 Act.
    Men who might be in financial hardship had exactly the same change in pension credit age as women as a result of the 2011 act. Even though other men don't have as much of an increase in state pension age.

For anyone who doesn't know it, pension credit age is the state pension age for a woman, to avoid gender discrimination on the starting age for pension credit.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good point, jamesd, I had forgotten about PC. Bad omission on my part :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts