Cancelling swimming lessons

My son has swimming lessons. He recently moved up a level. He has had 2 weeks lessons without his regular teacher. I asked when his teacher was back and they said not for another 2 weeks as he is on a course. So 4 weeks with substitute teacher. I am sure she is a good teacher but not pushing my son like his regular teacher. My husband says we should cancel the swimming and i am beginining to wonder if group swimming lessons are enough.
I have just paid july lessons by direct debit. Unfortunately if i give a full calendar month the august payment will also have been taken.
Not sure what best to do. If we didnt have to pay for another 7 weeks i could start private lessons or find a teacher somewhere else.

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Did you talk them?
    ally.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think you're overreacting. Substitute teachers often do things a bit differently which can be great as different explanations or different activities can really help sometimes. They don't know the children but that can be a good thing too, as they will only look at what they can see in front of them so may pick up on things the usual teacher doesn't. I've found with my kids that their progress comes in waves - sometimes they'll be holding steady for what seems like forever but then they will zoom forward inexplicably. The steady times are where they gain confidence and practise their existing skills so they're not a waste at all. For the sake of 4 weeks, which are not being wasted anyway, I'd stick with it.
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,421 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I came home from the lesson and told my husband that it had been a non productive lesson. I dont think it is the teacher, its more my son who is tricky and awkward. He was reacting well to his new teacher and then he is off for 2 weeks then he has reverted back to messing about and not trying. I have been trying really hard with him and taking him on my own. I got him up to the next level with practicising with him. Then this new teacher seemd to click. Then he is off for 4 weeks. I just felt we had gone back to his old behaviour. Maybe he is not interested enough to learn. Maybe i am pushing him too much
  • Auntie-Dolly
    Auntie-Dolly Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    Perhaps he's not that bothered about swimming. How old is he?
  • paul2louise
    Perhaps he's not that bothered about swimming. How old is he?

He is 6. We started lessons about a year ago. He loves the water and has no fear. We were on holiday last may when he jumped in the hotel pool at the deep end holding a ring but lost it. I had to rescue him. So i was determined that he learnt to swim. He is level 3 which is yellow hat. He can swim about 10 meters on front and back. He can jump in at the deep end to swim to the side. I sort of had in my mind that i would like him to be able to swim a length with proper stroke. He is a bit doggy paddle and not great with his arms on his back.
  • If he is at a level where he has the technique to swim 10m, its them just a case of keeping swimming on a frequent basis. Crazy idea here, but why dont one of you take him swimming yourself? given the stand in teacher doesnt meet your needs.

I imagine any lessons paid for but not used could be kept until the original teacher returns.
  • paul2louise
    If he is at a level where he has the technique to swim 10m, its them just a case of keeping swimming on a frequent basis. Crazy idea here, but why dont one of you take him swimming yourself? given the stand in teacher doesnt meet your needs.

I imagine any lessons paid for but not used could be kept until the original teacher returns.

I do take him myself, i was going every week until a few weeks ago to get him up to next level, i had given him a rest for few weeks to do other things as i felt i was pushing too hard and that it wasnt as much fun. I cant really teach him the proper techniques, i can swim many lengths but dont have the skill to do the proper breathing that kids learn now. When i was little i only learnt to swim breaststroke with my head above the water.
    I dont think they will hold the lessons just because his teacher is away. When he was in the previous class he had a stand in teacher who spent the whole lesson where they just played with woggles and never did a single stoke with their arms. I complained and was told it was all learning and differrent teachers have different techniques.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    "I cant really teach him the proper techniques, i can swim many lengths but dont have the skill to do the proper breathing that kids learn now. "

"I complained and was told it was all learning and differrent teachers have different techniques."

Surely that's your answer? You don't have the skill or knowledge to teach him to swim and different teachers do things in different ways. You don't know enough to know whether the substitute teacher is doing any good. I would have thought that it's more likely that they are doing good and you just don't know enough to appreciate it. I certainly don't understand why they do a lot of the things they do in my kids' lessons but they are progressing well and enjoying themselves. Progress really shouldn't be measured from week to week - look at the term as a whole and then talk about it with the teacher if needed.

At 6, they are allowed to have fun in their lessons. It sounds like you are pushing too hard and expecting too much. Back off, let the teachers do their jobs and your son enjoy swimming.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,302 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Your son has come a long way in what is really important - not drowning - and you say he loves the water. Sounds all very good to me!
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • paul2louise
    theoretica wrote: »
    Your son has come a long way in what is really important - not drowning - and you say he loves the water. Sounds all very good to me!

Another not very good session with the temporary instructor. I spoke to the receptionist and she has sugggested that i have a word with the centre manager on monday. I will see what she suggests.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure