10 year old with acne

Options
2»

Comments

• cashewnut
    cashewnut Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    If you are removing dairy from her diet (completely unnecessary imo) make sure she is getting calcium from somewhere else!
  • sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is she using a moisturiser at all? Drying the skin out can make the problem worse. Definitely look to at a light moisturiser to help keep her skin hydrated, especially if your using Tea Tree products which can be quite drying.
  • somegem
    somegem Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just an update - can see a definite improvement this morning - less red looking.

Maybe it is the diary after all ?! or combination of cutting out diary & using the tea tree blemish stick.

Her skin dosen't seem overly dry so think will hold back on using a moisturiser for now - don't want to overload products on her skin yet.

P.S. yes I agree cashewnut - I still need to find a way to get calcium into her.

She is really missing milk - so we need to try some alternatives.
  • darkduck
    Options
    I can advise cosmetics with salicylic and shikimic acid.
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    There is a spot product by Vichy that I use http://www.boots.com/vichy-normaderm-hyaluspot-15ml
    I dab a little on the spot before bed and it gets rid of it pretty quickly.

To add to the Roaccutane discussion, I had cystic acne that was awful and so embarrassing. I wish I had found out about this sooner. Took a year but got rid of the cysts. It was about 8 years ago now and my skin has more or less stayed clear except the odd spot and redness that won't go. It is strong, I had chapped lips, dry skin and occasionally chest pains that kind of felt like someone sitting on me. It's been linked to suicide but I think it helps so many more people than it harms and that those people inclined towards thoughts of that type shouldn't have been diagnosed it. They shouldn't ban it though as it was the only thing to work for me after countless antibiotics, topical treatments etc.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    somegem wrote: »
    Just an update - can see a definite improvement this morning - less red looking.

Maybe it is the diary after all ?!

It's quite possible.

http://www.clearskinforever.net/milk-acne-does-milk-cause-acne/

But worth seeking the opinion of a GP or dermatologist.
  • supersaver1000
    supersaver1000 Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Hi Somegem, glad that you are seeing an improvement. My dd experienced acne, it was never really really bad but I'm aware it must have dented her confidence. We tried all the over the counter things and shied away from the GP as we'd heard people talk about some serious medications and about a lot of things that GPs give you that don't work. However, it started getting worse and so we went along to a private skin clinic and saw a GP who worked there, we got a free assessment. He was brilliant and explained that GPs now have access to all sorts of treatments for acne, he explained them and advised that we should go and see our own GP. Our own GP prescribed something called Duac which is a cream you put on once a day. There was an almost instant improvement and now beautiful clear skin, I wish we had gone to the GP much sooner and feel terrible I didn't take my daughter. I think I worried about wasting their time and was hopeful of finding our own solution (and spent a lot of money unnecessarily on face washes etc). We were also advised by the doctor at the private skin clinic to look at the website patient.co.uk as a really uptodate website and that's my go to site now for anything health related prior to seeing the GPs. (I find its always more productive to go prepared to a GP appointment). Hope your daughter's skin clears but just wanted to share my experience and say go to the doctor if you are unsure and get it sorted before they become teens. Best Wishes SS.
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport