Getting a train to Newcastle?

Options
Hi all,

I'm having to go to Newcastle for a wedding in a few weeks and am looking at my various options. I thought I could go up on Friday 21st July and stay over for a few days, with the wedding on Sunday 23rd July.

I live about 40 mins outside London or 1hr 30mins away from Birmingham. (By train)

I thought I'd check out the Virgin train sale running currently, if I do a train from Birmingham New Street to Newcastle, a return is about £112. From London it's about £140. However it looks like these are regular prices rather than sale prices. I can see they're still doing offers from London to Glasgow for much cheaper. Would it be possible for me to buy one of these tickets then just get off at Newcastle? (I'll check the route to make sure they stop there).
Apologies if this is a silly question, I don't catch trains that often! :p

Or if anyone else has any cheaper train options, please let me know. It would just be one adult travelling.

I don't think I can endure the bus/coach ride and planes seem too expensive.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Comments

• stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The current sale is for the Virgin West Coast line.

London to Newcastle is on the East coast line so that's why you won't find any sales tickets.

London to Glasgow is on the west coast line so would be in the sale.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Don't do what someone I worked with did once and got a ticket to Newcastle Upon Tyne when the course was in Newcastle Under Lyme, and was slightly late for a 2 day course. 1 day late in fact.

I wonder if you could get a west coast bargain fare to Carlisle then take a different train to Newcastle from there?
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    Options
    What's the nearest station to your house?
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The Megabus does London Victoria to Newcastle:

21/7 depart 09:30 arr 15:55
    25/7 depart 08:40 arr 15:30

All for the sum of £20.50 & wifi on the bus :)

Edit: I know you said you cant endure the coach but with wifi & charging points its better than it used to be (travelling by coach). Plus there is only 3 stops on this route before you get to your destination
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Options
    What station are you travelling from, and what are your journey time requirements?
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,830 Forumite
    Options
    Do some sightseeing in Newcastle too.
    Go down to the quatside on Sunday mornind and see the famous Market. The Sage and the Baltic. Allthe Bridges . Take a trip on the tourisr boat too. The Eye open up for the boat and everyone on the Market stops to watch and wave.
    Premier Hotel is there and there are yellow Quaylink buses up into town every 10 minutes

Enjoy...
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • stclair
    edited 8 July 2017 at 12:19AM
    Options
    Silverking wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm having to go to Newcastle for a wedding in a few weeks and am looking at my various options. I thought I could go up on Friday 21st July and stay over for a few days, with the wedding on Sunday 23rd July.

I live about 40 mins outside London or 1hr 30mins away from Birmingham. (By train)

I thought I'd check out the Virgin train sale running currently, if I do a train from Birmingham New Street to Newcastle, a return is about £112. From London it's about £140. However it looks like these are regular prices rather than sale prices. I can see they're still doing offers from London to Glasgow for much cheaper. Would it be possible for me to buy one of these tickets then just get off at Newcastle? (I'll check the route to make sure they stop there).
    Apologies if this is a silly question, I don't catch trains that often! :p

Or if anyone else has any cheaper train options, please let me know. It would just be one adult travelling.

I don't think I can endure the bus/coach ride and planes seem too expensive.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

It looks like virgin east coast are doing a seat sale now.

The sale will all kick off on Wednesday 12th July, where more than one hundred thousand tickets will be up for grabs, set for travel between July 15 and September 15 2017.

The cheap tickets include plenty of UK hot spots including London, York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and many more destinations, with a First Class journey to Leeds setting you back just £20.

You can pick yours up on the Virgin Trains website from 10am on the 12th July, until midnight on the 15th July.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/virgin-trains-first-class-sale-10533764
  • stclair
    Options
  • Kernel_Sanders
    Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How rude! The OP hasn't logged in since making the thread and has just let people waste their time researching and posting advice.
  • stclair
    Options
    How rude! The OP hasn't logged in since making the thread and has just let people waste their time researching and posting advice.

I was thinking that seems quite common on this part of the forum (Not sure if it's just me).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family