Flexible Working. Reduce lunch break...

Options

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No chance they could accept it. It would set a precedent for everyone, dave needs to pick up his gran, john is an up and coming burlesque star and needs to practice. Jasmine follow the religion of the spaghetti monster and needs to drink meerkat blood at 4.45.

By all means try it but if i was your boss i would say no. They might like you more than i do though?!

Youre not being unreasonable, youre just asking a question. My advice would be, dont be unreasonable if that request comes back refused.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The problem is that in a fairly inflexible working space, where staff are required to be physically present between set hours ... only one person will ever be getting off early - to the detriment of others who might have occasional emergencies or urgencies.

It can work in some workplaces, but if it leaves everybody else "holding the buck" until 5pm every day then it can cause resentment as they can't slide off half an hour early for a hospital/Dr appointment, urgent vehicle issue/garage, any other named urgency.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    They can turn them down for any reason you want, whether the OP wishes to take it further is up to them but probably unlikely.

With the flexible working hours request regarding children, they have to have a valid reason. They can't just say 'because we don't want to'. They have rights to refuse of course if it doesn't suit business needs, but they need to at least try and accommodate.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bluenose2 wrote: »
    I am required to change my hours

Who is requiring you to change hours?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    With the flexible working hours request regarding children, they have to have a valid reason. They can't just say 'because we don't want to'. They have rights to refuse of course if it doesn't suit business needs, but they need to at least try and accommodate.

It doesn't suit business needs to not have people there for the hours they expect to have people there. they might be able to accommodate, but if those weren't the hours they wanted people there, they wouldn't have set them in the first place. These requests can always be turned down.
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    It doesn't suit business needs to not have people there for the hours they expect to have people there. they might be able to accommodate, but if those weren't the hours they wanted people there, they wouldn't have set them in the first place. These requests can always be turned down.

But if they are saying its acceptable if she takes a cut in pay then they cant use that argument
  • glentoran99
    Options
    Employers can only reject your request for the following reasons

the burden of additional costs
    an inability to reorganise work amongst existing staff
    an inability to recruit additional staff
    a detrimental impact on quality
    a detrimental impact on performance
    detrimental effect on ability to meet customer demand
    insufficient work for the periods the employee proposes to work
    a planned structural changes to the business.

I would make an application and wait and see what the official response is, If its not one of the above reasons then appeal, Citing the above, and reasons why it doesnt they cant then change the reason, That's exactly what I had to do in my work
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Legally, they have to insist that you take 1/2 hour, which is usually unpaid. However, many companies believe that staff perform better if they take one hour break so will have their own policy to insist on this.

They are entitled to demand an hour break from ALL their employees whatever the circumstances. They've followed the law, considered your request and agree on some flexible arrangements, so nothing you can do about it.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    If they let you do it, everyone will want to do it. Literally everyone.

That's not a valid reason for refusal though, Each application has to be taken on its merits and not what anyone else might do
  • glentoran99
    edited 3 July 2017 at 5:21PM
    Options
    FBaby wrote: »
    Legally, they have to insist that you take 1/2 hour, which is usually unpaid. However, many companies believe that staff perform better if they take one hour break so will have their own policy to insist on this.

They are entitled to demand an hour break from ALL their employees whatever the circumstances. They've followed the law, considered your request and agree on some flexible arrangements, so nothing you can do about it.

No they havent, shes had an informal chat, they also haven't given a valid reason (listed above) for refusal
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure