Reverse Osmosis water filter

Options
Can anyone offer any advice or tips on which reverse osmosis water filter to buy.

Need only be very low volume, say two gallons per day, but is for drinking water so would need a re-mineralisation cartridge, are there different quality re-min cartridges, which is best?

Would be good if the unit had a volume meter to indicate when to change the cartridges.

Comments

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What is it you're wanting to remove that a filter, or distilling won't get rid of?
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Would be good if the unit had a volume meter to indicate when to change the cartridges.

However little you use it in volume terms, the cartridges have to be changed after 6 months.
    What is it you're wanting to remove that a filter, or distilling won't get rid of?

Mine is on to purify softened water for drinking. I don't think it re-mineralises.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • RomfordNavy
    RomfordNavy Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Want to remove pesticides. Also fed-up wasting so much time buying spring water in bottles every week if I can get the same from a RO system that would be good.
    Toothsmith wrote: »
  • RomfordNavy
    RomfordNavy Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Don't understand that, surely the filters get clogged in relation to how much water has passed through them.
    silvercar wrote: »
    However little you use it in volume terms, the cartridges have to be changed after 6 months.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Want to remove pesticides. Also fed-up wasting so much time buying spring water in bottles every week if I can get the same from a RO system that would be good.

You won't get the same from RO water, it is completely de-mineralised, so it removes all good trace elements and raises the water's acidity. It's certainly not a good thing to be ingesting.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • silvercar
    Options
    Don't understand that, surely the filters get clogged in relation to how much water has passed through them.

True. It's more the risk of bacteria building in them, that recommends changing them after 6 months, rather than the amount of water they've filtered.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • silvercar
    Options
    You won't get the same from RO water, it is completely de-mineralised, so it removes all good trace elements and raises the water's acidity. It's certainly not a good thing to be ingesting.

Not sure about that, do you have a link. Why would removing all elements good and bad raise the acidity?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    Not sure about that, do you have a link. Why would removing all elements good and bad raise the acidity?

I didn't actually say removing the elements makes the water acidic, I said it is also acidic.

How come the pH of reverse osmosis water drops? Because reverse osmosis water will absorb carbon dioxide right out of the air. When carbon dioxide is absorbed by water it turns into carbonic acid, and that causes the pH of reverse osmosis water to drop.

https://www.waterionizerexpert.com/blogs/news/what-is-the-ph-of-reverse-osmosis-water

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/water-education2/ro-ph-page2.htm

http://www.lifeionizers.com/blog/reverse-osmosis-water-alkaline/
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if you need a filter then this company is excellent. We initially bought a filter tap system, easily installed and we used that for 5 years until we moved when we bought the same system again. Then I had a new kitchen and bought a dedicated tap system and a stainless steel cartridge holder. I replace the filters regularly every 6 months, always from this same company. The water is lovely
    https://www.freshwaterfilter.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport