Poor Quality Work - Rules in NI

Options
Outsider_83
Outsider_83 Posts: 166 Forumite
edited 30 June 2017 at 11:02AM in N. Ireland
Hi,

I'm new to NI and I recently got a painter in to paint a small bedroom and repair some parts of the wall. I was quoted a price of £230 including paint and given a schedule of two days. After two days of work I realised the room didn't look completed with wall paint on the skirting board as well as the mid border wood and ceiling, with the ceiling/skirting and border paint on the wall. As well as this parts of the wall have been painted on with the old wallpaper left underneath which looks lumpy. Overall a poor finish with paint on the PVC window sill etc. Payment was requested but when I pointed out the work was incomplete the senior employee checked the room and said the work done was unacceptable.

The painters have been back twice with little improvement and they are now saying I will need to be on-site to manage them which is not convenient.

What are the rules with such a situation in NI? I was led to believe these people were professionals, however it appears they are Laurel and Hardy.

Comments

• Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    Options
    I think they have to be invited back until they get it right.
  • Outsider_83
    Options
    Ok thanks, you Irish I like you - but you have some peculiar practices.
  • Milko
    Milko Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Am I correct in thinking that you have had 2 painters in for 2 days inc. materials for £230?
    If so this equates to probably less than minimum wage for the guys based upon £230 less £30 materials = £200/2/2 = £50/day per man
    Sorry but they aren't gonna be professionals at that
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where did you find these Painters at who recommended them to you ?
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • Outsider_83
    Options
    Where did you find these Painters at who recommended them to you ?

I found them on FB, this is them below:

https://www.facebook.com/PainterandDecoratorBelfast/posts/511206122269491

I haven't heard back from them since Wednesday at which time I was pointing out issues with work and requesting that they fix this.
  • Cotta
    Options
    Perhaps you can draw a line under this and make the amendments yourself?

Not sure of the procedures or if you should pay anything?
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 July 2017 at 9:39AM
    Options
    Have you Paid them yet perhaps it would be best to be there I know you said its not Ideal but I am sure they do not want any bad feedback or reviews left on Facebook which I am not saying you will do but you could try and work with them to get the job fixed .
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • Cotta
    Options
    Milko wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that you have had 2 painters in for 2 days inc. materials for £230?
    If so this equates to probably less than minimum wage for the guys based upon £230 less £30 materials = £200/2/2 = £50/day per man
    Sorry but they aren't gonna be professionals at that

Surely the OP should still have expected a decent job to be done?
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As far as I know consumer rights are the same as the rest of the UK. You should perhaps post this on the Consumer Rights forum.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure