4 week benefit 'run on'?

Options
I've been a full time carer to my son for the past 18 months but have found a job which starts next week.

I currently claim Income Support, Carers Allowance (for my son) and Child Tax Credit.

I wont be getting Income Support or Carers Allowance because i work, and WTC will be added to my CTC claim.

I wont get paid from my job for the first 4 weeks or more.

Someone on another forum mentioned that i may be able to get a benefits run on..does anyone know if this is something i could get, and which benefits it applies to? Also, how do i apply for it?

Thank you for any help.

Comments

• Housing_Benefit_Officer
    Options
    If you have been continuously on IS without a break for 26 weeks and starting work that is expected to last 4 weeks or more you will get an additional 4 weeks help with your rent and council tax (Extended Payment Benefit). It should be calculated automatically but my own experience is that many Housing Benefit Officers don't calculate this when cancelling a claim for someone who starts work. When you commence work phone your Housing Benefit Department and ask to claim you 4 week run on.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks very much HBO. Yes all of those apply to me, so hopefully i'll get it.

Does anyone know if the same applies to any other benefits?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    Thanks very much HBO. Yes all of those apply to me, so hopefully i'll get it.

Does anyone know if the same applies to any other benefits?
    You will only get the 4 week run on with Rent and Council Tax. Other benefits aren't included in that, sorry.
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    You will only get the 4 week run on with Rent and Council Tax. Other benefits aren't included in that, sorry.

Thank you Poppy :)
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Actually there is a runon period for Carers Allowance under some circumstances. I've been away from the systems too long to say with any certainty what those circumstances are. You need to call IS and CA.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 June 2017 at 8:12PM
    Options
    Carers UK may also be able to clarify re CA run on periods:
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/talk-to-us

However, I think the any CA run on may only relate to when the person cared for goes into a residential care home.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Alice_Holt wrote: »
    Carers UK may also be able to clarify re CA run on periods:
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/talk-to-us

However, I think the any CA run on may only relate to when the person cared for goes into a residential care home.

Basis for the runon used to be much wider ranging than that, but I'm nervous about stating anything as fact as things might have changed in the time since I retired.

For example, if somebody simply ceased to be a carer from choice, they would still get a runon. Ridiculous but true.
  • jessex1990
    jessex1990 Posts: 137 Forumite
    Options
    Speak to your local jobcentre, you might be able to claim a season bus, /train ticket to work for your first month. It is discretionary but a lot of work coaches will do it for you. Every little helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure