Lloyds didn't pick up my overdraft - 3 years later

Options
Heya!

I formerly had a student account with Halifax that was maxed out in its ovevdraft.

In 2014 I decided to consolidate my banking, I closed the Halifax account and moved it to Lloyds, where the overdraft should have been transferred, too.

Halifax closes the account, Lloyds take it on, but my overdraft doesn't show up. Ok, so go in for a meeting.

"Hm that's weird, must be a mistake. Lucky you, don't worry about it though, the Halifax acct is definitely closed." (I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea.)

Ok, everyone has some luck at some point in their life, I'll take it. Think no more of it.

Three years later (this week) I get my credit rating (I want a mortgage)

It shows me in three years arrears with Halifax...wow. So I go to Halifax today, they admit their mistake, clear the arrears, and tell me I need to open a complaint with Lloyds as they have messed up big time.

My question: what is my defence here? I was told, in person, not to worry about it and it was hinted to me to 'just go with the flow'. Do I have grounds for a solid defence?

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    And your proof of this conversation? I imagine you have as much proof as your chance of having this written off

You knew you owed it. You should have pursued it. Nobody gets money written off like that, sorry.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What defence are you after? From whom?

From your post, it appears that Halifax have cleared the arrears. What is the current situation?
  • abwarrington
    Options
    Absolutely. I was told I didn't though, in person. I assume a record of this meeting can be traced by Lloyds customer services?

Whether I have to pay it or not (it's not a great deal) both Halifax and Lloyds made mistakes.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    What defence are you after? From whom?

From your post, it appears that Halifax have cleared the arrears. What is the current situation?

I imagine if Lloyds made a mistake then Halifax are sending that debtover to lloyds as originally planned
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I assume a record of this meeting can be traced by Lloyds customer services?

Not a chance, unless there was a stenographer sitting in the corner of the room.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    Absolutely. I was told I didn't though, in person. I assume a record of this meeting can be traced by Lloyds customer services?

Whether I have to pay it or not (it's not a great deal) both Halifax and Lloyds made mistakes.

You think there's a record of a CSA saying to you 'oooh that's lucky your overdraft didn't transfer! Keep that quiet!'
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Lucky you, don't worry about it?!

I don't believe it, and even if it's true you were beyond daft to take it at face value.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not sure why you're trying to avoid paying what you owe. Did no one explain to you how overdrafts work?
  • abwarrington
    Options
    I will gladly pay.

Halifax has offered £50 as a sorry for messing up the transfer. I'm just wondering how Lloyds will take this.
  • marliepanda
    Options
    I will gladly pay.

Halifax has offered £50 as a sorry for messing up the transfer. I'm just wondering how Lloyds will take this.

If Halifax were the one to mess up, how is it Lloyds fault?

It can't be both banks faults
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport