selling within mortgage term

Options
kokolino23
kokolino23 Posts: 267 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 29 June 2017 at 12:32AM in Mortgages & endowments
Hello,
I couldn't find anything so far so mortgages with no penalties should we decide to sell the property by the end of our mortgage term.
I found mortgages with no early repayment charges but it's not the same as we come out of the mortgage term.
There is a way I can sell my house without accuring a fee for breaking the fixed term mortgage?
Thanks a lot

Comments

• davilown
    davilown Posts: 2,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    kokolino23 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I couldn't find anything so far so mortgages with no penalties should we decide to sell the property by the end of our mortgage term.
    I found mortgages with no early repayment charges but it's not the same as we come out of the mortgage term.
    There is a way I can sell my house without accuring a fee for breaking the fixed term mortgage?
    Thanks a lot
    If you can port your mortgage then you wouldn't be redeeming it so no ERC would have to be paid - bit confused by your post though as to whether you have an erc or not.
    30th June 2021 completely debt free…. Downsized, reduced working hours and living the dream.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,456 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I suspect our poster is talking about a fixed exit administration fee which is commonplace.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Some have unlimited overpayments without ERC as long as your don't redeem.

Don't know of any that offer that facility, pick a different product that does not charge ERC and has small exit fees.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kokolino23 wrote: »

The nature of the product requires such a fee for the cost to the lender of procuring the funds and the loss they would incur from early exits.
  • kokolino23
    kokolino23 Posts: 267 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry for the confusion.
    I found some mortgages with no ERC but they don't mention anything about the exit fee.
    In simple words: I've got 20 years left on my mortgage, I'll sign up to a new 2,3 or 5 year fix mortgage (let's say no ERC) and decide to sell the house by the end of this deal.
    If I will sell it and repay the remaining balance on my mortgage, do I have to pay penalties ? Would that be considered ERC or exit fee from my mortgage term?
  • ricky_v
    ricky_v Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you sell after the fix has ended then there's no ERC payable, only the exit fee/redemption fee if there is one. If you sell and don't port the loan to another property within the fix, then you'll get charged ERC.
    I've got 20 years left on my mortgage
    The term doesn't really matter IMO (it only determines the monthly repayments), I've recently got a 40 year mortgage that has a 5 year fixed interest rate. I don't intend to have that mortgage for the next 40 years and finally pay it off at 68 year old, I intend to pay it off (or remortgage, rates dependent) when I'm 33 years old, when the 5 year fix has ended and there's no ERC payable. If a mortgage has a 25 year term for example, it doesn't mean you have to keep it for 25 years, the fixed period (2,3,5,10 years, whatever) is what matters as that's when the ERC is applicable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure