BT selling debt to debt collection agency

Options
3 years and 2 house-moves after my divorce, I discovered that BT had sold a “debt” in my name to debt collection agencies for an apparent order placed on my account (without my consent) by my ex-husband at our former martial home. The order for phone and broadband services relates to well after I lived at the address and were initially paid for by my ex-husband, however BT later refunded his payments at his banks request.

I have now been contacted by 3 different debt collection agencies chasing the balance (£303.98). I have had some communication with BT who confirmed that these charges were for home phone and broadband and no data or phone calls were ever made / used. I am no longer in contact with my ex-husband. However 2 years ago, he contacted me advising that BT had taken money from his account without his consent, which I presume are these charges.

I wish to dispute the charges on the grounds that I did not give consent to the orders placed on the account by my ex-husband for BT phone and broadband, and throughout the period of the charges, no data or phone calls were made, so the service was not actually used at all.

I have emailed and phoned BT numerous times, and they have not responded. This has now been going on for around 18 months and once again I received a letter from BT this morning telling me that they have sold my debt to yet another debt collection agency.

I have emailed the debt collection agency to advise I am awaiting a deadlock letter, and have tried contacting BT again, this time through their online forums.

I'm worried as I'm in the middle of trying to re-mortgage my house and really don't want this to affect my re-mortgage.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 29,017 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Have you followed BT's correct complaints procedure ?

Link here :

https://www.bt.com/help/home/complaints.html

Are you positive they have sold the debt ?

Who's been chasing you ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi mappt02 and welcome to MSE,

If your ex did this without your consent and that is the reason you wish to dispute it, then that is an issue of fraud. You will be expected to have a reference number from Action Fraud. Without this, you are unlikely to get very far with this argument. And, of course, you must bear in mind that there are other implications in accusing someone of fraud.

If BT have sold the debt on then I would suggest you complain to both the new debt collector as well as copying in BT. Raise your concerns about the fraud with your reference number and make it clear how you want them to resolve this and that this matter has dragged on long enough. If their final response is not satisfactory then you can go to the Telecommunications Ombudsman.

I am afraid that only incorrect data can be removed from your credit file and this complaint may take seven more time to resolve, especially if it goes to the Ombudsman. If your complaint is successful you can get the incorrect data removed. However, if the debt is deemed to be yours, not only can it not be removed, you will need to repay it or fight the matter at court (which can be costly). Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    Did you actually close your account with BT when you moved out, and did you provide BT with your new address?
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure