Co-worker editing documents with "(s)he" to just "he" about generic people

Options

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Many people still wince when the number in the subject disagrees with the number in the predicate.

But it doesn't disagree because the singular "they" has been established for centuries.

If they wince they need to improve their understanding of English. Send them a link to a dictionary.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The people who find it awkward are probably the same people who noticed that I'd put 'she' before 'he' in that last sentence. How very dare I.
    In other words, don't trouble your pretty little head about it...

Wow, get over yourself!

Finding offence and perceived gender bias where there is none.

The advice by getmore4less to pick your battles is eminently sensible.

The suggestion on how to rewrite the process are perfectly sensible and how the 1000's of process and procedure documents in my work place are written.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    In other words, don't trouble your pretty little head about it...

that is not what I said.

the key was
    This is not a battle you want to play at this time.

The OP said
    I asked why (in a "what should I do differently next time so you don't have to edit it" way although that was sort of passive aggressive on my part) and got a response that was basically: it's cumbersome to keep putting (s)he etc and it looks out of place, and besides, all of our Teapot Inspectors are male so it is just "he" for all practical purposes. (I'm paraphrasing but that was essentially it)

OP need to defuse any potential situation and consider when to raise the issue of gender in documents and the review process.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This person is responsible for reviewing your work, so sit down with them and agree the best way of presenting your documents and take the issue away. Be armed with guidelines (if you can find them) to support your position, or at least rational arguments and suggestions.

I occasionally write technical documentation/technical reports, I always avoid gender completely when possible. I have also seen 'he/she' or even 'he or she' used extensively but never (s)he. Using (s)he IMO breaks the document flow and looks unprofessional.

Does your organisation adhere/aspire to an ISO standard? If so, it might be worth checking if there are formal guidelines for gender use, but from memory nothing springs to mind, its more about document control.
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Teapot55 I think your view should top all others given it (s)he/he/they will be inspecting you!

*They* asked me how I knew my true love was true . . . ♬ :rotfl:

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • Teapot55
    Teapot55 Posts: 731 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 June 2017 at 11:36AM
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    I don't like (s)he as the brackets break up the text. In formal writing I will usually go for the full 'he or she' which reads better to me, despite being longer, or use titles or the passive case to reduce the number of occasions it is needed.

Your suggestion theoretica is the best answer for overworked's situation.

(Passive voice example: the lid of the teapot should be examined for cracks or splits).

My answer was fine for semi-formal situations: letters home to parents, website info, etc but in the end it should always be senior management who decide, as they know the tone that should be set and the image they want of their organisation. If they are mistaken (and they could well be!) it is they who might fall foul of the law, not the 'underling' surely? (I'm no legal eagle though).

would've . . . could've . . . should've . . .

A.A.A.S. (Associate of the Acronym Abolition Society)

There's definitely no 'a' in 'definitely'.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Malthusian wrote: »
    But it doesn't disagree because the singular "they" has been established for centuries.

If they wince they need to improve their understanding of English. Send them a link to a dictionary.

Or more enjoyably Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue. It amusingly charts the evolution of the English language. I tend to be a bit whatev, can't see the point in being het up about the little stuff.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,149 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd suggest checking with whoever writes your policies or internal communications as to what the corporate style/guidance is on this. Or even better, asking your colleague for information on standards/house style for these documents so that you can avoid unnecessary editing in future.
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    I would, as others have suggested:

1. use passive case, or

2. use "they" (I have no problems with this), or

3. explain in a preamble that "he" should be read to include "she", or

4. all or any combination of the above.

I also agree that "he or she" reads much better than "(s)he" or even "he/she".

OP - if you are concerned that you are recorded as the author of these documents doesn't your document library have some form of document control that records changes to documents and who made them?
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    I'd suggest checking with whoever writes your policies or internal communications as to what the corporate style/guidance is on this. Or even better, asking your colleague for information on standards/house style for these documents so that you can avoid unnecessary editing in future.

This is also sensible advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport