🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Ex off the mortgage

Options
My ex and I divorced about 6/7 years ago and when we got divorced he said he would remove his name off the mortgage, this never happened.
He has never contributed to payments and is restricting me and my children from moving house as if I sold up he would get half of the money (which he does not deserve :mad: ).
I am in a sticky situation and I'm not sure how I would go about getting him off the mortgage, please help!!

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,136 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You probably need legal advice. Removing someone from the mortgage won't remove them from the deeds automatically - and vice versa. You need a financial settlement to the divorce which will stipulate how the proceeds on sale will be divided.

Whether his name can be removed from the mortgage depends on whether the lender will allow it..they may well consider if you can afford the mortgage payments on your own.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • djfjjfv
    Options
    Okay thank you very much I appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport