🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mortgages with no early repayment charges?

Options
What mortgage products do you know of with no early repayment charges?

I will be remortgaging soon; the property is a leasehold flat (long lease, > 100 years), with an LTV ranging between 49-55% depending on where you see current values. Good credit history, wife and I and good salaries (employees, not self-employed), etc. etc.

I have found that Nationwide and the Chelsea/Yorkshire Building society offer 2-year trackers between 1.10% - 1.50% (all-in rate based on current BoE rate).
Santander, has a 2 –year tracker at 1.14% with no ERC; so does Barclays, but with a higher fee (£2k); VirginMoney has one with ERC penalties.
HSBC and FirstDirect also have 2-year trackers with no ERC, but are more expensive (> 2%).
Do you know of others?

To be clear, my situation is such that, for a number of reasons I won’t go into now, I might need to sell in a year or so, then wait 9-12 months before buying again. I’d like to be sure I have the option of doing so, even if it means I am exposed to the risk of rates going up. This means that letting my property out (which many lenders would consent to) won’t do.

Thanks!

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I think you have covered off the bigger lenders, there are a couple of building societies who have similar products - or was last time I checked.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • SouthLondonUser
    SouthLondonUser Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    PS In the interest of other forum users, the Chelsea/Yorkshire Building Society refund your ERC if you take out another mortgage with them within 6 months.
  • SouthLondonUser
    SouthLondonUser Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have just found out that CBS offers products without ERC to new customers only, NOT to existing customers. I am an existing CBS customer :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport