🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Mortgage Brokers

Options
I'm due to see a mortgage broker on Saturday, I'm just wondering how beneficial they are? I understand the one I'm seeing just charges the lender commission and not me directly. Anyone had any bad experiences with brokers? I've had an initial meeting with her to gain a DIP. And I'm going again for the official mortgage application etc. Is it quite likely that my mortgage will be accepted given that I've seeked professional advice? Seems like one hurdle after another with moving house. Just want to see if mortgage approval could be easier than getting an offer accepted on a property!?! :D

Comments

• ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Like anything, there are good and bad.

Im not saying fee free brokers are bad, but I was fee free when I first started out. I had to see a lot of people just to earn a wage, which then meant if there was a problem I was not around as much as I needed to be.

But to answer your question, you would expect your application to go much more smoothly with someone who does it on a daily basis than without.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Anyone had any bad experiences with brokers?

Almost certainly they have as with any profession in life. However, most mortgages in the UK are arranged by brokers.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • LKRDN_Morgan
    LKRDN_Morgan Posts: 308 Forumite
    Options
    Personally my broker has been brilliant. Well worth his £199 fee. I'll never know if I would have been fine going it alone but with past debt that hadn't completely fallen off and only a 5% deposit I was nervous about who to approach. I got my offer from a high street lender without much fuss
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Worth reading Martin's recent blog post here:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/team-blog/2017/06/07/living-near-nandos-nearly-cost-mortgage/

Lot's of other advice in his mortgage pages too. Brokers are quite good at steering you to lenders they know you will have a high rate of success at rather than you risking credit application flags each time you approach a lender directly.

Even brokers differ. I recently had one broker tell me max borrowing from Santander (only lender to offer what I needed, interest only, sale of property, close to retirement) was x. Another broker confirmed Santander would lend me 3 times that amount. As I needed more than x, I went to the second broker and the application went through fast and smoothly (apart from Santanders greedy valuation fee of £940, very happy with the deal).
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    For brokers that get paid by the lender, it's in their best interest to find you a deal that will go through. They know all the ins and outs of the different lenders so will pick one that they feel confident with first time - they then get paid for their work without needing to then go through the process a second time.

I'm pretty good at paperwork, organised with all our files, and I do think I would've been able to apply for a mortgage direct for us with my bank as there's nothing about their eligibility that we don't meet. However, the brokers are the ones with experience of the process time and time and time again and they know what random reasons people may get declined for...

And as a first time buyer, having someone (as well as this forum) that we can go to with our questions and who is confident in our application does wonders for my anxiety levels :)
  • Jb_1982
    Jb_1982 Posts: 68 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom. I have seen a broker, as I say, so it does look as though its a small price to pay for some knowledge and expertise.
  • Jkbc90
    Jkbc90 Posts: 85 Forumite
    Options
    Our broker has been fantastic, £200 fee but that is us covered until we have keys in our hands (hopefully) we did research the brokers in our area and we went with him. The information he is able to provide alone is worth the money, he took care of all of the applications and paperwork, does all of the chasing and keeps us updated throughout.
  • folkestonelisa
    Options
    I didn't think my broker was very good, seemed slow and too busy for me, but he found us our only chance of getting a mortgage, on his 2nd attempt and now we are just waiting for some searches to be done, but the mortgage has been given at a better rate than expected. So he was very much worth his £299 ( I've even bought him a bottle of wine as a thank you for when we complete as without him, I wouldn't be in this most amazing position ��)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport