LCS Phonecall?

Options
Hello... I am new to this forum business so please be easy! Haha

I had a text message today saying the following;

Please contact LCS today regarding account number IDS00025**** on 0344 411 3254 quoting reference 1626****

& I thought it was spam so Googled the number then judging from what I read I decided to ignore the text. A few hours later I received a phone call from an 01723 number from Scarborough saying they were from LCS asking to speak to me, when I asked what it was regarding they said they couldn't discuss it unless I had passed the security questions which I agreed to, they started by asking my name & date of birth which I gave them then suddenly decided to stop & hung up as I realised it could be anyone after my details?!

After googling LCS a few times I keep seeing the same thing, that it could be from hmrc regarding tax credits?
I do not receive tax credits so I'm not sure what they could be after?
I'm quite anxious about it as they new my name when they asked for me.
What do people advise I do? Ignore or call them with the details from the text message?

I do not have any debt with anyone or outstanding payments etc either.

Also, if I did, would they not contact me via post & not text message/phone call?

Any feedback would be great thanks!

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    There's a whole thread about them here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2983648

To summarise

Bock phone calls and texts as far as possible.

If they write, send a prove-it

Consider a complaint to FOS and FCA if this isn't your debt.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,891 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cheaper to text or ring you, than it is to send a letter, just typical DCA scare tactics, you only need respond if you receive something in writing.

Proceed as per Fatbellys post above.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • LizzWright88
    Options
    Thank you!

Are they deffo a debt collecting company? & do you know which companies they work on behalf of?

I'll block & ignore as like I stated, I didn't feel comfortably giving my details over the phone, if they need to contact me should I expect something via post?

Thanks
  • LizzWright88
    Options
    Thank you, scare tactics kind of worked as whenever I googled them I got 'hmrc tax' etc & we all know how serious the tax man can be! I'm a stay at home Mother of three but don't receive any tax or benefits etc so don't know why I'm panicking to be honest!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Not singling out the OP, but I never cease to be amazed, at how people will divulge personal financial information, to an unknown telephone caller, claiming to be from a bank, public authority, DCA etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure