Debt instruction from Robinson way.. Advice greatly appreciated

Options
Good afternoon,

I have this morning received a letter from a company called Robinson Way instructing for a debt I have no recollection of. They claim to be collecting on behalf of HPH2 LTD. (ex HSBC), but when I have called HSBC to confirm this as I wouldnt want to ignore a debt I legitimately owe, I have been told that their third party is a company called "Metropolitan Collections."

I am worried because I have done the research on this "Robinson Way" company and found they are very aggressive and will resort to underhand tactics in retrieving their money.

Is there any set response I can send this Robinsons way to find out if they are legitimate and this debt is legitimately owed to them? I am worried on what to do.

They have given until 30/06/17 (just over a week!) to contact them. :S

Thanks if anyone can help!

R

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Options
    Send a Prove It letter to Robinson Way.

There's info on this and how to deal with DCA's in the stickies here.

Unless if you've received a CCJ claim form or a Letter Before Action, their deadlines are meaningless and designed to scare you into contacting/paying them.

Edit: Love the reference in your username by the way, brings back memories!

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Danfortesque2
    Options
    That's wonderful. Yeah those scare tactics work! I'm glad I'm more restrained now otherwise I would have messed up! I will seek out that letter now!

Thank you so much, really appreciate it!

(and yeah, just popped into my head just as I signed up, I need to track down a copy of that again! hehe ;))
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,888 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Robinson way are a (legit - in the broadest sense of the term) debt collection company.

Good advise above, send the "provit" letter, available here :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2607247

Ignore their deadlines, they are utterly meaningless.

See what they send back to you, and take it from there.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    A bit more background. The debt (which they say was HSBC) has been bought by Hoist Portfolio Holdings (HPH) and their in-house collector is Robinson Way.

Advice above is good.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport