Overpayment

Options
2»

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks all your help
    Fortunately I have no serious money issues, but imagine I am a single mother, with no savings and a part time job and I haven t got salary for for months...I understand what you said, but I still feel that this procedure wasn t totally lawful. At least they should have written to me and ask me about a repayment plan in case I am struggling financially. As I understand an ACAS article on the net, they had no right to take back the money without written consent.

And an another thing which was really strange on my payslip, all unpaid holiday was a negative amount but it should be zero (if I am on unpaid holiday I simply haven t got paid but it looks like a deduction) Any explanation for this?
    You may not believe it was lawful, but it was. If you would like to cite the ACAS reference we can explain it - but I know that you have read it wrong because it simply wouldn't have said what you say it did. Not in these circumstances.

And no - unpaid holiday often shows as a negative amount. It is the way that payroll works. The assumption is that you get credited with XX hours every working day/week - a day has a positive value. So if you work 7 hours a day over five days, that is 35 hours of value. In order to reduce that by one day, they must -7. Hence the negative value. 0 has no effect on the payroll systems. If you subtract 0 from 35 hours, it is still 35 hours.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    how much did you get overpaid if it is taking multiple pay cycles to pay back?

what is the timing here because the later part of the financial year you normally get a tax rebate if lower/unpaid.

did you take extended maternity?

Check carefully what they are taking as it look like the overpayment was in a different tax year. There may be an issue with NI depending on the numbers.

As long as the number add up you are no worse of than if you have been paid on time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure