Negitve Equity Auto vs CC Debt

Options
Hey all,

I've made some terrible financial choices throughout my 20's and have only recently changed my ways from the "head in the sand" accounting method. I've analyzed and corrected my behaviours to avoid the same issues going forward, but I have one last problem to solve.

Here is my current situation:
I recently bought a brand new car that was way out of my means, gets horrible gas mileage, and costs a ton to insure.

Current Loan Balance: 36,000 @ 3.5%
Monthly payment: 635
Monthly Gas: 250
Monthly Insurance: 110
Car's current KBB trade in value: 31k-32k

The mileage on the car is currenlty 4500. It is a vehicle that holds its value extremely well, and the current KBB for the same vehicle, 2 years older, with 25,000 miles is 28K. I have just eaten most of the depreciation of the vehicle.

This alone is not an issue with my income. However, I have amassed a great amount (40k...Yes, I know, I'm an idiot) of high interest credit card debt. I have transferred what I can to 0% balance cards, but still have a sizeable amount to pay down at 15%+. Once I pay down the balance of a card, I usually receive 0% APR balance transfer offers, so I will continue to juggle those.

I've trimmed all fat out of my budget and every spare cent is going towards these debts. However, my current auto situation needs to change. I have looked through the local market for 4-6k cars and have not found anything that would be reliable enough to meet our needs. Plus that 4-6k cash expenditure could be put towards 15% debt.

I am looking to purchase a 2014-2015 base model Mazda 3 with 20-40k miles. These can be had locally for 10-13k. I have calculated my mileage savings and insurance savings and would save $170 a month alone in gas and insurance. My state does not tax the amount covered by a trade in so I would pay no tax on the transaction.

My question is whether I should continue paying my current car loan down until I break even (Or build equity) to trade in, or if I should roll the 4,000 negative equity into the used Mazda purchase. The downsides I see to keeping my current loan is that I lose $170 each month to insurance and gas.

The end result would be:
Loan Amt: 14,000-18,000 @ 4-5%
Gas: 110
Insurance: 75

I can afford all CC payments + a little extra each month regardless of what choice I make. I am unsure of which road to take to pay off the total debt sooner. My goal is to be debt free with a reliable car at the end of the day. By purchasing the Mazda I will be saving $500+ dollars a month that could be used towards my higher interest debt, but would be underwater for quite some time on the vehicle.

Also to note, my current vehicle is still under warranty for the next 5 years, 60,000 miles and has all maintenance included for the first 2 years. Despite it's bad fuel economy it will hold its value extremely well throughout it's life.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    This is a UK site, we probably can't help with American problems sorry.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,959 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My ex wife gave me a 2004 Citroen Xara Picasso as part of our divorce settlement.

Costs me about £400 a year to run it, plus petrol.

Had it 5 years still starts first time, so far, never broken down.

$36,000 dollars you say, wow !!!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 21 June 2017 at 11:54PM
    Options
    Could you lease a fairly basic car? You'd still obviously be making payments but you wouldn't be adding to debt and you wouldn't have to be worrying about an older car maybe being unreliable.

If you can get 32k for your car then I say go for it, it's depreciated whether you keep it or sell it so hanging onto it doesn't make it worth more.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure