MSE News: 12 MoneySaving tips to beat the heatwave

Options
Much of the UK has been sweltering in the sunshine over the past few days and it's not over yet, with Wednesday predicted to be the fifth day in a row when temperatures top 30C. To help, we've compiled a short list of MoneySaving ways to survive the sizzle...
Read the full story:
’ '12 MoneySaving tips to beat the heatwave' '
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    "Close the curtains, open the windows."?

Not good advice if the air temperature outside exceeds the inside temperature.

Close the curtains, certainly, but if it's warmer out than in, as it often is, close the windows.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    "Close the curtains, open the windows."?

Not good advice if the air temperature outside exceeds the inside temperature.

Close the curtains, certainly, but if it's warmer out than in, as it often is, close the windows.

Not if your neighbours love hanging out of their windows smoking skunk, weed and cigars (yes really) and the occasional fag. Last time I left my windows to let my clothes dry whilst I went out and came back to a home reeking of various combinations of smoking and I ending up needing to wash everything again. This and my windows only open about 10cm!
  • Susie_Richards
    Options
    Small desk fans (6in-7in)

I've been saying that 6in-7in is small for years!
  • heidihi58
    Options
    When I lived in Florence 10 years ago and the summers were hotter than here, in the morning everyone closed their blinds, curtains or shutters on any windows exposed to the sun, and kept the windows closed, not open. The double-glazing kept the heat out in the same way that it keeps heat in in the winter. Opening the windows merely allows warm air to enter which defeats the object.

In the evenings when it cooled down, we opened the windows to let cooler air in.

We've been doing the same here in the UK this week and it works well.

Another thing we find helpful is to open the loft hatch and windows at night which seems to create an air current as any hot air rises into the loft. Haven't had any trouble sleeping at all in the past few days!
  • nickylester21
    Options
    Another good way of keeping cool is to fill your hot water bottle up with water and pop in the freezer, allow room for expansion! or put ice cubes in if you have forgotten to do it earlier :rotfl:
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Make sure any electrical devices not in use are properly turned off - they generate heat when in use.
  • Rebeca73
    Options
    Lolz. a good advice i must say .
  • Jeniffer08
    Options
    Thanks for giving us good information
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Fine- in June but today it's a bleak something like 7 degrees with a bitter wind so we'd find 'how to keep warm' advice more useful!!

Not quite sure why a 'hot' thread is getting bumped in November unless OPs live somewhere a good deal warmer than UK!! (or they are on holiday in a warm sunny spot.)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There was a spam post which I reported that pushed this thread back up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure