What's the best method to overpay?

I'm 7 months into a 25 year mortgage. £71800 left to pay, currently 7 months into my 2 year fix rate at 2.34%.
I've been overpaying £50 a month making my payments approx £370 a month. I can probably afford more than this but just been wanting a nice chilled out life at the moment with my 1 year old. I'm now changing my mind and I'm now thinking I want to own the house asap to speed up my plans of progressing to buying more homes in future. (Potentially, I am probably a bit ambitious). I could probably afford another 200-300 overpayment if I budget and buy cheap food etc. (It's my own mortgage and I get about £1.5k-1.8k a month)
Does it matter if I overpay in my two year fixed period or after and what's the best route to go down, one off payments or monthly?

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    If daily interest make the payment as soon as you are happy the cash is spare.
  • A fixed rate will have a repayment penalty but usually you are able to overpay an amount either set per month or % of original mortgage amount annually. Find out what these allowances are for you and work with them so only overpay what you can without a fee and anything else you'd have wanted to overpay save in an account with more interest than your mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure