CCJ issue

Options
CarlJC
CarlJC Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 14 June 2017 at 10:15PM in Debt-free wannabe
I really need some help. In 2014, I had issues with a landlord who wanted us out for no reason. At the time of the hearing, I owed the £700 for that month which I paid but the judge added £1000 for legal fees knowing at the time, I did not have the facility to pay the additional cost. I still have the CCJ on my file and I'm struggling to run my small business as I require Public Liability Cover. The legal fees remain at £840 which I haven't paid as of yet as the landlord hasn't chased it. Can I get the CCJ removed or the judgment satisfied despite the legal fees remaining?

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    So the judgement was for £1700. You have paid all but £840.

You can't get the judgement removed.

But you can get it marked satisfied by reaching an agreement with the claimant to accept a smaller payment and to confirm that there is no further liability to the court. - though technically they should not do this unless the debt has been paid in full.

https://www.trustonline.org.uk/understand-judgments-fines/ccjs-and-county-courts/certificate-of-satisfaction-satisfied-vs-unsatisfied-ccjs
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi CarlJC and welcome to MSE,

Unfortunately, the only way to get a CCJ removed is to pay it in full within 1 month of the judgement date, or to successfully set it aside. It doesn't appear that either of these are applicable for you and the legal fees will form part of the debt and the judgement so will need to be paid in order to satisfy it I am afraid.

If you would struggle to pay it in full straight away then you could vary it and pay what you can afford per month. I would suggest you do this through the county court and use an N245 form (which does cost £50 to submit). The reason I would suggest this is because at the moment it sounds as though the judgement is in default which means there is a risk of enforcement, which could even come from the high court. If you end up with high court enforcement officers the debt could rise a lot more with their fees. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    Options
    CarlJC wrote: »
    I really need some help. In 2014, I had issues with a landlord who wanted us out for no reason. At the time of the hearing, I owed the £700 for that month which I paid but the judge added £1000 for legal fees knowing at the time, I did not have the facility to pay the additional cost. I still have the CCJ on my file and I'm struggling to run my small business as I require Public Liability Cover. The legal fees remain at £840 which I haven't paid as of yet as the landlord hasn't chased it. Can I get the CCJ removed or the judgment satisfied despite the legal fees remaining?

£1000 for legal fees??? That's crazy!

A possession order back then was £285 I think. What was the rest??
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    What about changing your company status to limited?. That way it becomes it's own entity.
    I cannot fathom why a ccj would cause any issues when obtain pli though.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure