Faulty solar panels - suggestions welcome

Hello Friends,

We had solar panels fitted 5 years ago. Two and a half years ago, they packed up and have generated nothing since then. I have contacted the supplier (gone bost), his supplier (went bust) and the manufacturer in China (bust). All the suggestions from those parties have failed to resolve the issues and I didn't get much help either from trade bodies such as the RECC, or the government either...

A salesman visited from Solar Plants this week. He was confident that his team could get the system up and running, but it would cost £5k. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback which they could share about Solar Plants? I am reluctant to invest £5k further (already £10k in the hole) - unless it is extremely likely that Solar Plants can deliver a solution which will work long-term.

Alternatively, does anyone know any (very) good solar repair teams?

Many thanks!

Comments

• The_Green_Hornet
    The_Green_Hornet Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 June 2017 at 12:30PM
    I suggest the first thing to do would be to get your system checked out by a qualified electrician to find out why it has failed.

You can search for one here or here.
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    sunnykappy wrote: »
    Hello Friends,

We had solar panels fitted 5 years ago. Two and a half years ago, they packed up and have generated nothing since then. I have contacted the supplier (gone bost), his supplier (went bust) and the manufacturer in China (bust). All the suggestions from those parties have failed to resolve the issues and I didn't get much help either from trade bodies such as the RECC, or the government either...

A salesman visited from Solar Plants this week. He was confident that his team could get the system up and running, but it would cost £5k. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback which they could share about Solar Plants? I am reluctant to invest £5k further (already £10k in the hole) - unless it is extremely likely that Solar Plants can deliver a solution which will work long-term.

Many thanks!
    I'm no expert, but 5K would get you a whole new system by todays prices.
  • Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Two fairly simple things to check -

1. Is there a display on the generation meter?

2. Is there any display on the inverter - perhaps a light or an error code?

With this information it should be possible to narrow down where the fault is.

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Are the panels in several sections, so Solar Plants could prove there word on just one ? I'd have thought the panels themselves would be quite robust, so it would be just the electronics to control them, and £5K sounds a lot for that ; being 50 % of the total.
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sunnykappy wrote: »
    We had solar panels fitted 5 years ago. Two and a half years ago, they packed up and have generated nothing since then.

Surely this is a wind up!! Nobody in their right minds would leave collecting the FiT for two and a half years and then ask in their very first post if anyone knows a good repair team.
    Depending on the date of install in 2012 you could have earnt the £5k in FiTs(assuming a 4kWp system) to replace the whole system. Doesn't take a mathematician to work it out.
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • Dear All,

Many thanks for your suggestions. Have tried most of these (with no success) but there's one idea which I'll be taking forward.

Best wishes.
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,984 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    lstar337 wrote: »
    I'm no expert, but 5K would get you a whole new system by todays prices.

I wonder what the rules are on 'repairs' involving wholesale replacement before it becomes a new system and the original FIT no longer valid?
    I think....
  • Thanks for mentioning this. I liaised with the F-It provider and they confirmed that it still fits the original defintion.

Thanks again to all for your suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure