Mortgage day one - Diary to MF

Options
Hi All,

Like many in the past I've been a 'reader' - reading all of your useful tips and advice and other people stories as inspiration. But now feel like I have my own small story to tell and hopefully get a bit more advice and encouragement from you wonderful bunch! Even if no one reads this or comments I'll be filling t in to monitor our progress.

This month my fiance and I complete on our first house with a 90% LTV mortgage at 2.53% 2yr fixed from the post office owing £144000. I cannot sing the praises of L&C enough, through every step of the way they were brilliant - professional and personable (even with my million FTB questions!) It's taken us about a year and a half to save £20000 - which is now mostly gone on deposit, legal fees etc

It has taken my partner and I a while to save the deposit and we've made the most of the HTB ISA scheme both with over £4500 when we closed them earlier this month. So that's almost £2k free cash :) We each saved the maximum £200 per month into the ISA's and put whatever we had left into a savings account. Our plan is to continue to save in this way but use what was the £200 each ISA money as OP on the mortgage each month. The other savings account will go towards our wedding fund.

If we didn't overpay we'd drop to just over 85% LTV when it comes to remortgaging in 2 years but overpaying by £310 per month should get us down to 80% LTV. This should hopefully get us a better deal.

If any of you have any tips or advice for mortgage/OP newbies they'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

June 2017 £144k
Little One born 19/12/18
5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining

Comments

• Dogbooks
    Dogbooks Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Congratulations to you! Hope all goes well, please keep us posted of how you get on :)
    Goals for 2017:
    • [STRIKE]Complete purchase of house[/STRIKE]
    • Save emergency fund- £1200/ £9300
  • Westminster
    Westminster Posts: 1,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Savvy Shopper! Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done!
  • erin_transport
    Options
    Great plan
    Best wishes with it
    On a mission!

2018 & 2019 MFW #138

On babystep2 (#DR)
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone else had ideas of what to do with the money they were putting saving towards help to buy ISA's? I cant find a savings account that'd we'd be better off saving in.
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
  • Guna
    Guna Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    I don't think there is anything available at the moment that would match an interest rate of HTB ISA. Perhaps a regular ISA? I found that just putting money away into a different account helps me to mentally distance myself from it so that it is never really touched except in an absolute emergency. If your mortgage terms allow overpayment without penalties, you may as well just pay it off without worrying about savings. The amount of interest saved would exceed any interest you may have earned elsewhere.
    I realise you are trying to save up for a wedding, but if it is a distant event, it still feels like a better option to reduce your mortgage capital.
    Mortgage £8472.53
    Student Loan £44156.09
  • NelliePie
    Options
    Thanks Guna. I thought so too but it's nice to ghet it confirmed by other more savvy members. We're lucky we're both earning and in decently paid jobs so we can afford to save a little more than that a month so can put the extra towards the wedding (May 2018!)
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
  • NelliePie
    Options
    As a FTB its a strange feeling knowing all our savings that we scrimped together have gone and we now owe almost ten times as much! Kind of feels like we're back to square one but with lots more out goings as we tidy up the house. There's nothing major that needs doing just a bit of tarting up really. I'm trying to convince myself that now we've completed level 1 - the deposit stage; the mortgage stage is juts the next challenge/level in the game etc. It's a bit daunting though!
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
  • NelliePie
    Options
    SOA
    Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 0
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details
    Monthly income after tax................ 1400
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1350
    Total monthly income.................... 2750

Monthly Expense Details
    Mortgage................................ 648.1
    Council tax............................. 115
    Electricity............................. 30
    Gas..................................... 30
    Water rates............................. 5.69
    Telephone, broadband and TV................... 42
    Mobile phones............................ 23.5
    TV Licence.............................. 12.13
    Groceries etc. ......................... 100
    Petrol/diesel........................... 40
    Road tax................................ 16.67
    Car Insurance........................... 110
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 13
    Buildings & contents insurance..................... 12
    Life assurance ......................... 9.53
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1215.62

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing. Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

We're both fairly frugal so don't spend much on clothes, fancy cars, etc so but we do treat ourselves to dinners out every now and then. We're not hardcore savers it just comes naturally for us to not spend much - we both like the simple things in life. However after reading everyone else's diary's it's huge inspiration to start overpaying when we can.
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
  • NelliePie
    Options
    Our mortgage came with £500 cashback on completion, that's just cleared so has gone in as the first over-payment! I know its only a one off but it feels good to be making a start
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
  • shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The fact you have this mindsight is your biggest asset. I have monthly goals on my first post which helps for motivation and is great to look back on. Its hsrd now but try to imagine your potential scenarios for remortgage and i guarantee that with this diary youll surpass them! In our first few months a picture on the fridge with 136 bricks was a great motivator and it felt good to colour one in and reward ourselves with a takeaway and wine!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport