Debt Recovery Letter Received

Options
I've received a letter from a debt collection agency called Daniels Silverman, requesting the sum of '£105.56 which is 'outstanding on (my) account'. There is no detail offered about why I am alleged to owe this figure nor of who has instructed them to collect it.

I recently traveled on a rush hour train from London and took the first available seat which happened to be in first class carriage (although I didn't know this to be the case at the time). As soon as the train left the station, several ticket inspectors entered the carriage and demanded everyone produce their first class tickets. I only had a standard ticket and so I offered to move into a standard class seat not knowing that I had sat in the wrong place. The Inspector didn't accept this and said that I would have to pay a fine. I then offered to buy a first class ticket but he also refused that and said that I would need to pay a fine. I also told him that I was feeling unwell and had sat there because I didn't feel comfortable standing for the journey but he wasn't sympathetic to that either. He was very determined to fine everyone in the carriage and wasn't open to hearing explanations.

Now I'm assuming the letter relates to this journey although there is no explanation offered. Needless to say, I'm not willing to pay this company any money and if the letter is regarding the event above then I'm very happy to contest and explain the circumstances and my reasoning for not paying but since there is no detail at all given and the letter is addressed to a 'Miss' (I am a Mr), is it wise to even acknowledge receipt?

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Comments

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I doubt it is to do with the train journey. I would expect the fine to come from the train company.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,907 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How would they know who you were ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Daniels Silverman do not normally deal with railway fines.

Try a prove-it
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,

I would agree with fatbelly to send the prove it letter to the Daniel Silverman letter and then consider your options from there. You can't make much of a decision until you know what they are chasing.

With regard to the rail penalty you should have had notice of the penalty assuming the inspector took your name, address etc. you can then check the website of that operator for more details about how to appeal the ticket and where to escalate the appeal to, if necessary. If you get notice of a penalty, do not ignore it. Comply with the deadlines they give you to dispute and send everything recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They know my address because I gave it to the ticket inspector. I was expecting to receive a fine in the post and so I'm surprised that it's just a letter saying 'you owe...' and no details at all about the reason. It's probably just lazy administration from the debt collectors that the train company hand over to. In any case, I won't communicate with a debt collection agency but would willingly talk to the train company, however they've not been in touch.

I'll not be at the address much longer and so if it's unlikely to cause any credit issues (my friend thinks that people can be defaulted over this kind of thing) then I intend to ignore the letter. I think a letter asking for money with no details doesn't justify a reply.

Thanks,
    J
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2023 at 6:52PM
    Options
    They know my address because I gave it to the ticket inspector. I was expecting to receive a fine in the post and so I'm surprised that it's just a letter saying 'you owe...' and no details at all about the reason. It's probably just lazy administration from the debt collectors that the train company hand over to. In any case, I won't communicate with a debt collection agency but would willingly talk to the train company, however they've not been in touch.

I'll not be at the address much longer and so if it's unlikely to cause any credit issues (my friend thinks that people can be defaulted over this kind of thing) then I intend to ignore the letter. I think a letter asking for money with no details doesn't justify a reply.

Thanks,
    J

It's not a default that you'd be worrying about with not paying a train fine, but a magistrates court fine.

Yes, you read that right. Non payment of a train ticket, and then not paying the fine is a criminal offence, not a civil one dealt with a CCJ.

I think this DCA thing may be totally separate, but if you get a letter demanding payment for this train ticket, you must pay it. Moving will not cure that one either. I'd be contacting the train company and seeing if they're issuing a penalty fare notice (Which you should have been able to pay at the time!), pay it ASAP.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I agree, if I receive a letter demanding payment for a train ticket then I should pay it. However this isn't that. It's a letter from a disreputable debt collection agency demanding a payment of 'outstanding credit'. The two incidents are undoubtedly connected but it just seems odd to me that National rail operate in this way. Doesn't that mean that NR are selling their debts to a debt collection agency? The agency (initialled DS) is frequently criticised on this forum and people advise that you should not even speak to them, never mind pay them.

Is it unreasonable that I await communication from National Rail on this? I will contest the fine but I can't do that with a debt collection agency who haven't even outlined the reason they are asking me for the sum.

Thanks,
    J
  • StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2023 at 6:52PM
    Options
    I agree, if I receive a letter demanding payment for a train ticket then I should pay it. However this isn't that. It's a letter from a disreputable debt collection agency demanding a payment of 'outstanding credit'. The two incidents are undoubtedly connected but it just seems odd to me that National rail operate in this way. Doesn't that mean that NR are selling their debts to a debt collection agency? The agency (initialled DS) is frequently criticised on this forum and people advise that you should not even speak to them, never mind pay them.

Is it unreasonable that I await communication from National Rail on this? I will contest the fine but I can't do that with a debt collection agency who haven't even outlined the reason they are asking me for the sum.

Thanks,
    J

No, you will receive a penalty fare notice, not a letter from a DCA.

These are likely unconnected.

Send a Prove-It letter (Details are in the stickies here) to the DCA. Ignoring it wont make it go away. If you move and they get a CCJ for whatever it is in default (They'll send the court paperwork to your current address, if you move, you wont see it), it'll cost you more to get a Set-Aside than the current amount claimed.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    They are not unconnected. I had a dispute with a train conductor who told me I'd receive a fine in the post. A few days later I receive a letter asking for the same amount from a debt collection agency. They certainly are connected and I know what they 'debt' is for. However, I haven't been given a chance to dispute with the train company. The debt collection letter gives no details of the train company, the debt, the offence or anything so in the circumstances, I should surely ignore it. Is it acceptable to send people letters claiming you owe them money but giving no explanation whatsoever?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    A search for Daniels Silverman on this forum reveals many threads in which users advise people that it's unwise to enter dialogue with these people. I am willing to discuss/dispute with a train company when the fine notification arrives but I refuse to deal with a debt collection agency.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure