How much do I get paid?

Options
2»

Comments

• AleksandraK
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies, very helpful indeed!
    I had a little investigation last night and like Aced2016 sugessted the increase was applied later than I assumed hence the shortfall.
    I also discovered that the amount of my weekly contributions towards pension varies from £2.97 to £9 ... yet they still pay £333.25 into my account ... bizzare? Unfortunately, it looks like the company's accountant is losing the plot....
  • PossiblyOverworked
    Options
    Is it a salary sacrifice pension arrangement?

By that I mean that the pension amount is "sacrificed" from your pre-tax salary, so you never see it as gross income (it goes straight into your pension instead) but many employers with this arrangement will report the "contractual" figure rather than the "reduced" figure to mortgage companies.

For example if I earn £18,000 and pay 3% into my pension via a salary sacrifice arrangement... the employer would report £18k as my salary (which would be £1500 per month) to mortgage co etc. but my gross reported to HMRC would be 97% of that (with 3% taken off for the pension) i.e. £1455 per month.

What would actually happen is 3% of my salary would be "taken off" before ever being paid to me, and put into the pension (possibly with some employer contribution, or possibly not!) so any income tax and NI etc would follow from the new, "reduced" gross amount.

I didn't do the maths with your numbers but a previous poster said the "discrepancy" equals the amount you say you are putting into a pension, so that's the feeling I have about that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure