Son getting mortgage for parents to buy house

Options
Hi,
Me and wife have inherited a half share of a house that has just sold.
We need to buy a new home as we currently live in the inherited house (late fathers house and we moved into it when he went into a home, has since passed away)

We need a bungalow due to my care needs, my wife is my carer so neither of us can work at the moment.
We are about 30k short of getting the home we want and our son has offered to get a mortgage for 30k to add to our inherited money so we can buy it.
Neither me or wife can get a mortgage as bad credit and in an arrangement to pay large debts.
Would son be able to get a mortgage without putting any of his own money down as a deposit?
what I mean is would the mortgage people consider our cash payment as his deposit?

Any advice?
Thanks

Comments

• csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    it would have to be a gifted deposit, but then it puts your son under legal responsibilities such as being a Landlord with tax implications as well.

Not to mention a lot of lenders frown upon letting relatives stay in the house while your son is not there. Since your son is not living there it would be a buy to let and therefore stricter criteria.

I would be careful about this, money and family generally don't mix and your son and you have a lot to lose if this goes wrong. If you son already has a house he would have to pay extra stamp duty as well.

If you son wants to get married and wants a place for himself it would cost him more since he already has a house which you occupy and it sounds like you won't be able to pay your son given your large debts.

I would hit the debtfreewannabee forums to reduce your debts. Consider finding a cheaper house/flat to live in
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Have you told your creditors of your new financial position?
  • debtisnotme
    debtisnotme Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    Have you told your creditors of your new financial position?
    I think securing a roof over their heads is more important than paying unsecured creditors.
    Debt on 25/5/17
    Mortgage[STRIKE] £61,999[/STRIKE] £59,335
    Secured loan approximately[STRIKE] £20,000[/STRIKE] £19,353
    Unsecured debt in DMP with Stepchange[STRIKE] £38,887[/STRIKE] £37,763
  • iamugly
    iamugly Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    As the house we currently live in is being sold then we dont have anywhere to live so we need that money to buy somewhere. As we have an arrangement through stepchange to pay our debts, will this be a problem?

Son's partner has her own house and son lives with her so he doesnt have a mortgage.
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,896 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    ask step change, the inherited cash should be going towards the debts. What if they ask for your bank statements on a review?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,548 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    will you be planning on getting a mortgage with your son or is the plan to have it in his name?
    If the latter - for the inheritance/deposit, do you plan to lend it to him or gift it to him?
    as has been mentioned lenders are not keen on buy to lets where the property will be rented to family members
    Probably something he will need to sit down with a broker and find if this is an option
  • iamugly
    Options
    The problem with that is we will lose benefits and have no money to live on or buy a house with if we pay our debts.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    iamugly wrote: »
    The problem with that is we will lose benefits and have no money to live on or buy a house with if we pay our debts.

If you receive an inheritance and use the money to buy somewhere to live, you will not lose your benefits - this isn't classified as deliberate deprivation of capital.
  • iamugly
    Options
    Yes thats why we want to buy.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    iamugly wrote: »
    Yes thats why we want to buy.

The debts are another issue. If you owed me money and you received a lump sum, I'd want my money from you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure