We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Costing a possible building job

madaminx
madaminx Posts: 223 Forumite
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of looking to purchase a property requiring some work to it, however I'm not sure how much the work will cost. The cost of the work will influence how much I bid on a property, as well as the amount of deposit. I was therefore wondering if builders accompany house purchasers on viewings to assist with guiding a purchaser with costs of any potential work to the property.

I have seen this happen however it's usually when people know someone in the building industry.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Carol

Comments

  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,650 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    madaminx wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

    I'm in the process of looking to purchase a property requiring some work to it, however I'm not sure how much the work will cost. The cost of the work will influence how much I bid on a property, as well as the amount of deposit. I was therefore wondering if builders accompany house purchasers on viewings to assist with guiding a purchaser with costs of any potential work to the property.

    I have seen this happen however it's usually when people know someone in the building industry.

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Carol

    They might do, but from their perspective it could be a huge time wasting exercise as they might not get the work anyway.
  • ruperts
    ruperts Posts: 3,673 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Ring around some builders and ask them if they'll produce a quote. You want more than one quote. Most will be happy to do so as that's usually the starting point for how they get work.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.