Jury Service / Lieu Time

Hi, I'll try and keep this brief.

So i'm on jury service (for the 3rd time!).
The company I work for has chosen not to pay me during the time. (Possibly upto 3 weeks).
I will be claiming the £64 per day max from the court.
I earn more than this after tax.

I am owed a considerable amount of lieu hours from my employer. I have offered to take the jury service period as lieu as i'm not going to be in work anyway.
What I wanted to do was to also claim the court payment aswell.
My HR director has told me I cant do that as it would be fraud!
Now.. As I see it, my company are actually paying me for work already done and not for the time when i'm on Jury service.

I'm even having to go in at the weekend to cover shifts!

I cant find any details anywhere on this. The court is pretty useless, there's never anyone on the jury helpdesk!!

Anyone come across this before?

Anyway, i'm a week into the Jury service and finding it quite rewarding as I did on the previous occasions. I can highly recommend doing it.

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Here's the link https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim. It refers to payment for loss of earnings but, if you are using lieu time and therefore actually being paid by your employer, you have no loss of earnings. I think your director may be correct but it's certainly not clear cut.
    I think you need to continue to try to get through to the help desk.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    im thinking of volunteering to do this.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'm sure you have said this before and again I will say you don't volunteer. You are randomly selected to do it.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    He has stated it in the past but never seems to understand what you say.
  • TyreLever
    TyreLever Posts: 212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Actually it was me that said it before (probably).
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,505 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've said it before on a post about jobseekers and doing this. The
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    And back to the subject, I believe that the HR Director is correct. More - I recall that the employer must fill in a form... actually, I just found it! It says "The Juries Act 1974 Section 19(1) specifically states that any expenses and loss of earnings can only be reimbursed to the juror where there has been a financial loss to the juror as a direct result of jury service." You will have no financial loss if you use your lieu time. I seriously doubt your employer is going to attest to a loss when there isn't one. You must either take the time unpaid and claim the loss of earnings allowance, or use the lieu time and forego the allowance.
  • London50
    London50 Posts: 1,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sangie595 wrote: »
    And back to the subject, I believe that the HR Director is correct. More - I recall that the employer must fill in a form... actually, I just found it! It says "The Juries Act 1974 Section 19(1) specifically states that any expenses and loss of earnings can only be reimbursed to the juror where there has been a financial loss to the juror as a direct result of jury service." You will have no financial loss if you use your lieu time. I seriously doubt your employer is going to attest to a loss when there isn't one. You must either take the time unpaid and claim the loss of earnings allowance, or use the lieu time and forego the allowance.

Below is a link to a copy of the form

https://formfinder.hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/loss-certificate-eng.pdf
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family