Retraining ideas after University as I can't get a decent job

Options
Hi,

Two years ago I did a degree in Youth Work at University, and afterwards managed to get a job in my field. After I was assaulted on the job though, I lost confidence and decided I didn't want to work with kids in a youth setting anymore.

I've since been working in a shop, but I've been struggling to get any other jobs because I'm not qualified, and I don't have any office based experience.

I've been thinking of doing some retraining, but it all looks really expensive, and I've gotten a bit lost looking at all the options.

I don't have any specific career in mind, I'd ideally like to work Mon-Fri, 9-5 or similar, in an office based job.

I was hoping someone could point me in the direction of retraining that would be worthwhile doing as it would get me a job in a field that is employing. My worst nightmare is that I pick something and then find that there aren't any jobs at the end of it!

I did consider a PGCE, but my degree makes it difficult and my A-Levels aren't in any of the subjects I'd want to teach.

Any advice would be gratefully received as I'm a bit lost. :/

Comments

• WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    What about working in a school as one of those people who supports kids who need extra help?
    School Careers advisor? Counsellor? Is it that you don't want to work with children at all or just specific situations, such as the one you were in when assaulted?
  • hh28
    hh28 Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Yeah I did try for a few of these positions, but the only ones that came up in my area were taken by other more experienced Youth workers :( That's why I thought retraining entirely might be a good idea!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What about working in a school as one of those people who supports kids who need extra help?

A support worker, maybe a teaching assistant would cover helping students who need extra help.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    What about teaching for younger children? Your degree and A levels are irrelevant - you just require a degree, plus GCSE maths and English.

Children's social worker? There's a huge demand. You may even find on the job training as councils are crying out for people in the field.
  • mickeymouse303
    Options
    Would you want to avoid working with young people all together? It seems such a shame
  • hh28
    Options
    The jobs in my area with young people, Lancaster, are very difficult to come by. I did look at Primary teaching but the bursary offered is very small and I don't think I could afford to live for a year and study. That's why I've been looking at any and all other options for retraining :/
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    What about a graduate scheme? That way you can train and work at the same time.
  • hh28
    Options
    I looked into Graduate schemes, but I'm not sure whether I'm really qualified for them. They always seem to want business students, or someone with experience in the field! I did apply for one with Hertz but got turned down :/
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,761 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    9/5 office jobs cover a multitude of sins. I think you need to narrow it down a bit more in terms of your aptitudes and interests. I personally couldn't face the thought of being stuck in one office all day under artificial lights but I am currently doing an advocacy role which gets me out and about all over the county and is still 9/5.
    What attracted you to youth work? What would you consider to be your transferable skills? Why office work - is it the hours , the feeling that it's safer, or an overwhelming urge to spend all day on a computer? What are you good at?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2017 at 1:09PM
    Options
    hh28 wrote: »
    I looked into Graduate schemes, but I'm not sure whether I'm really qualified for them. They always seem to want business students, or someone with experience in the field! I did apply for one with Hertz but got turned down :/

Then I suggest you look harder. The civil service, social work, the NHS all have schemes with wide qualifying criteria. Accountancy, retail management, even law if you are willing to do the GDL and LPC (some firms will sponsor you).

What about working for HMRC? They are often recruiting at EO and HEO level. Have a look at the CS Jobs website, I can see 10 jobs within 20 miles of Lancaster that require no specific qualifications.

You sound like you're dithering, you're not sure what you want to do so you're not doing anything. Find something that might interest you and properly research it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure