What happens if you can't pay broadband or tv license?

Options
nemq
nemq Posts: 23 Forumite
I have started a new job and I'm not sure when I'll get my first wage so I don't know if I'll be able to pay my broadband or tv license what's the worst that could happen if I don't pay..can I be taken to court or be fined? I will be able to pay it after I get paid but not sure when that is. Has anyone had any experience with this and how long do you have to pay it..for example if I can't pay it this month then will they wait until I get paid next month? I'm so stressed about this I don't even have anyone to ask for help and I'm already worried about food...I can go to foodbank but what if they say you have all this money in your bank so why are you here? (That money will go to the bills for direct debit).

Comments

• Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you already on a direct debit for the TV licence? If not and an annual fee is due, you could either take the cheapest direct debit option to help with your cash flow or stop watching live TV/BBC until you can pay the licence (you don't need one if you don't do these things.)

That said, I have known someone to pay a few weeks late before and still watch TV in the interim. Nothing happened and I think the new licence retained the anniversary of the old one so the BBC didn't actually lose any money.

Failing to pay the broadband will likely lead to a late payment marker on your credit report. I would be inclined to miss an alternative bill instead that can't impact your credit report for 6 years. Have a look on your credit report and see what doesn't report on there.

Do you have an employment contract that states your payment arrangements on it?

Do you have access to a credit card or free/low cost overdraft for the short term? If you have previously opted out of an overdraft, your bank should be able to implement one quickly if you are eligible.

Failing that, the food bank should be more helpful once they see that all the money has actually been taken up by bills.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Id be speaking to who ever your broadband is with.

What have you got in the cupboards for food.

This is why its a good idea to have a set amount of money set aside in a savings account. Something to maybe look at is your bills, reduce them and put money aside so if this happens again you have something to cover the gap till you get paid.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Your broadband will almost certainly get cut off if you don't pay.
    TV licence bit more tricky, you'll probably get a notification if a monthly direct debit has bounced but most likely little will happen short-term.

It should probably say in your employment contract how and when you get paid - weekly or monthly on a specific day or date, though Murphy's Law says you start a job on the 20th and get paid on the 19th.
  • nemq
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Are you already on a direct debit for the TV licence? If not and an annual fee is due, you could either take the cheapest direct debit option to help with your cash flow or stop watching live TV/BBC until you can pay the licence (you don't need one if you don't do these things.)

That said, I have known someone to pay a few weeks late before and still watch TV in the interim. Nothing happened and I think the new licence retained the anniversary of the old one so the BBC didn't actually lose any money.

Failing to pay the broadband will likely lead to a late payment marker on your credit report. I would be inclined to miss an alternative bill instead that can't impact your credit report for 6 years. Have a look on your credit report and see what doesn't report on there.

Do you have an employment contract that states your payment arrangements on it?

Do you have access to a credit card or free/low cost overdraft for the short term? If you have previously opted out of an overdraft, your bank should be able to implement one quickly if you are eligible.

Failing that, the food bank should be more helpful once they see that all the money has actually been taken up by bills.

Yes I'm on direct debit for TV. I am thinking of selling my TV. I'm still waiting for them to send my contract...I thought I would have got it by now as I started my job last week. I'm trying to find a weekly job that would solve my problems.
  • nemq
    Options
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Your broadband will almost certainly get cut off if you don't pay.
    TV licence bit more tricky, you'll probably get a notification if a monthly direct debit has bounced but most likely little will happen short-term.

It should probably say in your employment contract how and when you get paid - weekly or monthly on a specific day or date, though Murphy's Law says you start a job on the 20th and get paid on the 19th.

Ok so if they cut it off will I have to pay them a fee or anything? I haven't got my contract yet...this is what I'm thinking if I started on the 15th May surely I should get my first wage by 15th July?
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Kim_13 wrote: »
    Failing to pay the broadband will likely lead to a late payment marker on your credit report. ...

Can't think of any broadband providers that grant credit - normal terms are monthly in advance, but you would almost certainly get cut off after a week or so late payment.

At least the TV licence DD if missed will just generate a chaser (they cant cut you off!) after a few weeks but you will need to catch up later once you are back in funds.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nemq wrote: »
    Ok so if they cut it off will I have to pay them a fee or anything? I haven't got my contract yet...this is what I'm thinking if I started on the 15th May surely I should get my first wage by 15th July?

If a DD is going to bounce, it may be worth cancelling the DD temporarily with the bank to avoid a failed transaction fee. Most banks/accounts charge these. What account do you have? The information will be available online, so you can check if you should do this. You may be banging your head against a brick wall but I'd also be checking out any TV Licensing penalties (or any other bill that may not be paid) for a failed DD - and asking them not to attempt to collect if one applies. Otherwise you may find that you are hit with charges on both ends.

Are you within a minimum term with your broadband? They'll probably start chasing you for the remainder of the term's fees if they cut you off, so best to try to negotiate a later payment date or divert funds from a bill that can't do this.

Companies will have a schedule they pay to (e.g. Last working day of the month) but an earlier deadline for payroll after which they'll not make any changes. If you joined after such a deadline, then you might go 5 weeks or so without any pay. From May 15th I would definitely expect a wage by the end of July. Do you have a colleague you could ask about when pay day is? That might give you an idea.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    In both cases, taking pro-active action is much better and cheaper than bouncing a DD.

For Broadband, look into cancelling the contract. If it is not locked in, there shouldn't be any penalties.

For TV Licence, phone them and cancel the prepayment scheme you are on. On such schemes, there is always a credit on the account, so you can either take that as a refund and let the Licence lapse, or you can ask them to keep the Licence running until the credit runs out, which will give you a number of months free. You can then restart payments for a new Licence whenever you like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure