We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Credit card limits & Mortgage

Hi

We're looking to get a mortgage in about 10 years, once we've saved a deposit and I'm back working full time to increase our income (currently a stay-at-home mum with 7yo and 3yo).

We're currently on track to pay off our remaining debt by November this year (and will then start saving for a deposit), and I just got a letter from one of the credit cards increasing my credit limit. When the debt is paid off I'll have available 3 cards with limits of £3900, £3100 and £1250 I'll also have a £2000 overdraft available and a £500 overdraft on the joint account that's never been used.

I'm wondering what's the best strategy long term to enable us to be brilliant candidates for a mortgage when we want one?

How much credit should we use (and pay in full) each month? Should it be on just one card or across all 3? Should I get rid of the £2000 overdraft (left from student days) that we never use?
Also all the cards are in my name right now, should my Husband get a card too? or get him one and cancel one of mine?

I hope someone can help!
x
Debt FREE thanks to YNAB

Comments

  • David_White
    David_White Posts: 892 Forumite
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 20 May 2017 at 2:31PM
    Whilst I admire your forward thinking, if you're looking to take out a mortgage in 10 years time I wouldn't stress too much about factors such as credit limits as you could reduce your limits a year or two beforehand if necessary and who knows what lenders will be looking for in a decade?

    At this stage I would just stay focused on clearing the debt/building your deposit and ensure all of your bills are paid on time.
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.
    This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.