We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

mortgage advice

Hi . Is there a mortgage out there for retired persons. I am looking for a 12year Interest only Re-mortgage for £140,000. My house is valued at £220,000+. I wish to pay my existing mortgage of £80,000 and all debts. I am 68 years old and my joint pensions with my wife are £26,500 pa. My pensions are £19,600pa. I have tried my 2 banks and they have said no as I can only have a mortgage until I am 75 although I have one until I am 80 at the moment. Is there anything out there to help? Even a £60,000 loan or mortgage would allow me to pay all my debts and some of the mortgage. Equity release companies have only offered £79,000, not even enough to pay the mortgage.

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,079
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Potentially, but I think £140k is probably going to be a little too much, maybe £100k is about the max.
    You could potentially take out a secured loan to wrap up all of the debts in to one, so you then only have 2 payments each month.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • pumpman60
    pumpman60 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Is a £60000 loan or mortgage over 12 years, possibly interest only, available. This would enable me to be debt free and pay 1 (£20000) part of my 3 part mortgage due in 2019, as well. Thanks
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,791
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Interest only - no.

    14/15 year term - yes.

    £140,000 lending - no.

    You could, perhaps, benefit from a second mortgage.

    Get yourself some decent advice from a Broker.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.