We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I was nearly debt free by 40!.

Hello all, I decided enough was enough around 5 years ago and £25000+ in debt on various cards and loans, put my head down and cleared most of it bar a few hundred here and there last year (it was very hard work, no treats and mortgage to pay too!).

I think at that point I'd got repayment fatigue!, treated the house to some new double glazed windows (to be fair this was a necessity) and managed to pay those off over the year.

Then we went "just for a look" at caravans, but the one the family fell in love with required a heavier car to pull it, so a nice loan for £15,000 from the bank was agreed and I bought a new to us family car, wife bought the caravan.. Again this could all be seen as an investment for the family and childrens holidays..

I nearly did it, nearly debt free by 40 (2 months to go), maybe I should just rejig it to debt free by 50 instead :rotfl:. Maybe I'll never get there..

Comments

  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 16,384
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    At least you know the debt came from actual assets rather than overspending.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
  • moneyfacts
    moneyfacts Posts: 67 Forumite
    I suppose debt can be relative to income, but why didn't you just save up for it this time ?
  • keithmac
    keithmac Posts: 52
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Our kids are 5 and 10, we decided that if we waited much longer we'd lose the best use of the caravan, the decision was quite easy in that respect.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 16,384
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    I would suggest that you start a savings account if you have not already and then next time you won't be tempted to borrow. I personally don't see anything wrong in taking out 0% credit to buy these things providing you don't have other debt. We do 0% for furniture if available even though we could afford to use our savings. Makes sense to keep it in the bank for an extra year or so to gain the pitifullly small interest we get on it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Save £12k in 2026 Challenge £12000/£10,000
    365 day 1p Challenge 2026 £667.95/£600.31
    Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.